Watch: manhole explodes after lightning strike

Originally published at: Watch: manhole explodes after lightning strike | Boing Boing

7 Likes

My manhole explodes just like that, just add beer & tacos, and big bada boom.

24 Likes

With the speed and lighting, this felt like a new Disney Ride. Maybe it’s a viral campaign for a Ninja Turtles reboot?

7 Likes

At a wild (but not totally uninformed) guess, there was more than just the gas involved. Manhole covers are supposed to be well-grounded for exactly this reason, and we actually had a lightning strike the one in front of my house back when. Nothing came of it but the cover getting warm (which wouldn’t have happened if the cover had not been well grounded because the heat would have been produced in the more resistive parts of the current path.)

The gas in that case might have been a leak, either from a pipe or ground (Singapore is in the middle of a rather large field of oil and gas wells – spectacular at night when I was there.) Or, if the path to ground was through enough air the air itself might have superheated to give the KA-BOOM: thunder underground.

10 Likes

Case in hand …

3 Likes

Mole men ammo dump?

15 Likes

That holds water!

5 Likes

My guess would be that that is an underground transformer blowing up (possibly caused by lightning but could also be any of a number of other issues and wouldn’t need a lightning strike in the immediate area which would be included in the video).

8 Likes

Run Women GIF

18 Likes

Do tall buildings in Singapore not come equipped with lightning rods? Not debunking or anything, just seems weird that there was no other path to ground than a manhole cover down at the bottom of an urban canyon.

10 Likes

ow, soda | nose > desk

3 Likes

There may have been a flash of lightning - that may have been the glitch in the video, before the manhole erupted. But I don’t think the lightning struck the manhole cover.

I think the Earth Gods just got startled in the middle of a very hot curry and burped suddenly.

4 Likes

tenor

9 Likes

SHAZAM!
Dance Dancing GIF by HBO Max

3 Likes

I like that he goes ahead and enters the parking garage, despite the fact that the exit is now clearly blocked.

2 Likes

Maybe, or just regular natural gas leaks that get into storm drains and other pipes.

DC has that problem from time to time.

3 Likes

There’s always at least two exits out of a parking garage.

1 Like

Imagine that… hot air and gas in DC!

3 Likes

Thor farted, clearly…

4 Likes

thor GIF

4 Likes