Getting deplatformed from Apple. “Your account has been permanently disabled. There is nothing else you can do, there is no escalation path.”

Waiting for them to finish making mine.

We’ll see how it works after that.

2 Likes

Until bit rot sets in.

An iTunes gift card from Walmart is also a 3rd party. Where exactly is the line I shouldn’t cross?

3 Likes

Wal mart isn’t a reseller of previously sold cards. That’s where I would draw the line personally. Card resellers. A card sold at walmart won’t have been activated yet, and won’t have been reported stolen or be fraudulent or whatever happened here. This person was sold a non working card. Walmart wouldn’t do that

3 Likes

Where does it say the card was already activated? “Discount web site” can refer a very wide range of retailers. If Apple chooses to sell through retailers, perhaps they should be publishing a list of the authorized ones.

2 Likes

NThat’s a good question. I’ve never had a problem with gift cards sold through grocery stores or big box stores etc. what is the site this one was purchased from and why aren’t they liable for selling non-working (or stolen) cards? I’m just guessing that it must be one of those sites where you can get cash for unused gift cards. I’ve seen those advertised. Never used them because they seem shady as heck.

I’m not defending apple here at all. I’m annoyed by their cloud based service that is trying to make it so you can’t access your own purchased music, books, etc without their software. I’m just saying I also wouldn’t trust discount gift card sellers.

2 Likes

This?

No.

I’m not a Linux absolutist like I probably came across, I realize the need for cross-platform use for most people. I suppose my point was be aware that Linux actually exists, find your local Linux User Group and learn how to use it so you don’t get locked into idiocy like this article.

Since I’m bilingual I prefer a note 9 thats at least an Android based phone, because the S Pen makes certain Japanese input easier for me.

Unfortunately the only drawback of Linux is pretty major- everyone trying to make a pure Linux dedicated device, like the eve V laptop, the specs are out of date by several years before they even announce them. Looks the same with that phone. And no stylus.

2 Likes

I don’t know what any of that means. I also still own cassettes.

3 Likes

Gah!

regular explodes in a shower of glimmering bits

8 Likes

That’s probably the one thing that wouldn’t be a problem if iTunes locked your account, assuming you had a downloaded copy of all your songs. They’ve been using DRM free MP3s for years now. They charge extra for more popular songs that are more likely to be pirated, or at least shared with friends instead. It’s bizarrely sane.

ETA: Physical CDs are still cool though. If I had more storage space, I’d love to have the actual disk for all my music. Maybe it makes me a materialist, but I like having a physical library of things like that.

1 Like
2 Likes

that i think is the monopoly wall that needs to be broken down. programs sure. but pure data? that should be transferable, playable, anywhere by any device or software.

2 Likes

Apple is a filthy AWS, Azure, Google reseller, gripe punters: iPhone giant accused of hiding iCloud’s real backend

My ecosystem consists of my laptop that runs Ubuntu, a server that runs Ubuntu, an Android phone (because there’s no decent linux phone), and an Android tablet (ditto). At least with Android, I can use third party app stores, or even side load my own apps, if I should ever get locked out of google.

So fuck Microsoft, and fuck Google, and most especially, fuck Apple.

4 Likes

They didn’t do that. You can still burn cds, store cds, sync cds.

sorry, but you are literally using it wrong. That’s how two factor verification is supposed to work. You are basically complaining that there isn’t an easy workaround to open and start your car when you lose your key.

Edit: and locking the spare in your car. You can register multiple trusted phone numbers with iCloud.

2 Likes

Isn’t that how a contract works when either party can terminate the arrangement? You can delete your account, and they can block you. In cases where no money changes hands, it’s not even a real contract, it’s just legal nothingness.

I used to have a bunch of PDFs in iTunes. They changed it to “books” - a separate app that exists purely in the cloud or something. It was impossible to drag things in and out of the desktop app. I just wanted to put a pdf into my phone and I couldn’t make it happen. Several PDFs I already had were suddenly inaccessible. I was losing my mind. I somehow got the files back onto my computer out of the app and now I’m using the adobe acrobat app on my iPhone instead of that dumb Apple app that’s trying to destroy my files.

2 Likes

As much as I love XKCD that comic is largely bollocks.

1 Like