Getting deplatformed from Apple. “Your account has been permanently disabled. There is nothing else you can do, there is no escalation path.”

That’s not Apple’s fault, that’s what happens when you use multi-factor authentication. If you don’t have access to the authentication device, you’re kinda hosed.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about iTunes on the desktop. My cds are still there but will not move to the phone where they disappeared from my library all together. All the rest of my music was moved to the cloud for highly inconvenient download to my phone. There may be work arounds for this, but, you know what? I already took the time to load all that junk onto the phone and I don’t want to do it again. What next? They broke my trust. I’m done.

Interesting that the only gun control that the GOP seems able to tolerate is red flag laws which basically do with guns what this guy had done to his tunes. Asymmetric power always seems like a good solution to the powerful.

yep. bandcamp is also good (lossless downloads!), as long as you keep multiple backups (like everyone should for any computer data)

2 Likes

So you purchased Apple Music Match by mistake? How the hell did that work? Didn’t you notice the yearly charge?

And even with Match Music Tracks don’t magically vanish from your Mac. You can “offload” them, in which case they will get replaced with the Apple version, though. You can still manually sync directly.

1 Like

You can register multiple devices and multiple phone numbers, though. The first one is why I didn’t bother to register a secondary phone number yet. That, and not having critical infrastructure on either iCloud nor google. I like our national servers quite enough and keep full copies locally.

1 Like

I must concur, the fact that the site where the card was bought or what was payed for it is not mentioned is … iffy.

Compare this: If you buy a TV for a tenner from a bloke in an ally and later you get done for receiving and handling you are absolutely guilty. If you buy a 2nd hand TV for a reasonable price through a trade website and it later turns out it was stolen you are probably in the clear.

If a party in a trade should have a reasonable suspicion something was not right about the sale but they still buy that is a crime (e.g. “Some discount site” selling cards below value.) That includes Apple, if they agree to receive something they they believe to have been stolen they are committing a crime too, so they don’t and don’t like to deal with people that have a history of trying to implicate them.

2 Likes

Yeah, they didn’t figure it out until 2017.

4 Likes

I would disagree on that. Not mentioning the name of the site is at least as likely to be out of a desire on the author and publisher’s part to avoid getting legal threats and whinging from the discount site.

They are likely to vigorously deny selling dodgy giftcards and since there is absolutely no way to prove that they did sell a dodgy giftcard and it is in no way important to the actual point of the article whether the giftcard really was dodgy or not, it’s a lot easier to avoid the hassle by just not mentioning where you got the gift card from.

The point of the story (in case you actually did miss it) being that Apple and all other major eco-systems have it entirely within their power to arbitrarily take all your stuff away whenever they feel like it.

It’s very Hobbesian. We literally enter into a contract with the Sovereign who regulates our access to goods and services and our interactions with each other with absolute power, right down to the direct appeal to the King’s Mercy.

7 Likes

I am shocked, shocked, at an obvious Discordian failing to make a “golden Apple” joke…

2 Likes

You are crazy. But you’re my kind of crazy.

I can’t remember how many years it’s been since I made the switch. Yes, there are annoyances and snags, but nothing like the impotent rage that Windows (and OSX/MacOS, though my experience with that is much less) can induce.

I’m never going back. Never.

2 Likes

I was completely unable to check my mail via the computer in front of me because i needed my iPhone in order to prove to Apple that I am me. I called and they confirmed that yes, this is how the system is supposed to work.

I was going to yell at you for not having backup codes for this situation, then realized that Apple does not offer backup codes for their two-factor authorization. So you are correct: If you lose access to your one mobile device, you can’t get into your account without going through some complicated account recovery process. What a mess.
As a warning to others, try to add a 2nd phone number to your Apple account to use for emergencies.

2 Likes

I didn’t realise that the film was out. I enjoyed the first one.

“Vhere are ve frum?”

“Zee Dark Side of ze Moooon!”

1 Like

Felt it was a bit of a low-hanging fruit.

4 Likes

Somewhat unrelated, why did boingboing set this up so ctrl+f opens their search engine? How do I do a normal search for text appearing on this page? I use ctrl+f specifically to sidestep websites’ own search functions.

2 Likes

If it was a gift from, say, an aunt who’s mostly into “online savings” through various websites with “The Best Deals” (some nice people sent her emails with links!), she’d probably not even know that it wouldn’t be legitimate. And you don’t say where presents are from or what they cost.

1 Like

Hey, there’s an idea, one could purchase a dodgy gift-card as a “make-up” present with someone you REALLY don’t like :smiley:

4 Likes

Every CD I’ve bought in the past 28 years is still playable. Any CD I buy now is probably going to outlive me.

2 Likes

Right. If my grandma bought a stereo from a guy who said it fell of the back of a truck, it doesn’t make it more legit cuz my grandma was involved or because it was a gift to me. Whether I should be legally liable and have my other non-truck stuff taken away because of it is the question here I suppose. But c’mon grandma!

1 Like

After giving my first iTunes account to my ex so the kids could keep their music, my 2nd one has virtually nothing. I listen to the radio, and to the “free” music I get with Amazon prime. I’ve got a ton of old CD’s that play in my car, and that’s enough.

Now Steam…that’s a different story. If my Steam account gets ganked - I am going to go postal.