Ghost warrants: US cops routinely arrest people for warrants that were canceled long ago, and lock them up for months before discovering the error

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/01/laberinthine-and-informal.html

3 Likes

So…

Is this a feature, or a bug?

7 Likes

If there’s a chance any “assets” can be seized, you can bet the answer is “feature”.

12 Likes

And also if there’s a chance it will put money in the pockets of the for-profit prison-industrial complex.

11 Likes

This happened to a good friend of mine a few years back; the system is a series of traps designed to ensnare anyone who isn’t rich and powerful.

7 Likes

Kidnap.

Cops routinely kidnap people who have mo warrant or probable cause. The neglect due dilligence.

3 Likes

And they never apologize. No matter what; no matter how badly they screwed up; no matter the havoc they wreak in peoples lives; they never, ever apologize.

5 Likes

As if I needed another reason to remain an expatriate. All it takes is some scammer to use my name, and I could end up stuck in some shithole county jail?

No thanks. I think I’ll stick to living in the slightly less dysfunctional EU.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.