Woman jailed for not returning video she rented 9 years ago

[Permalink]

If my library did this Iā€™d be on Americaā€™s Most Wanted.

5 Likes

The police chief was probably next on the waiting list for the movieā€¦

2 Likes

6 Likes

May I remind everyone once again that banksters who perpetrated the greatest failure of the world economy since the great depression have not spent a day behind bars.

34 Likes

A video tape? Even going back to 2005 that seems strange.

2 Likes

Seems like she wasnā€™t arrested so much for not returning the tapes as for ignoring the arrest warrant they sent to her. That frankly never ends well. The only problem I have is that the warrant was sent regular certified mail so thereā€™s no record that anyone ever actually received it. The courts presume it was delivered, but I donā€™t know how many time Iā€™ve gotten other peopleā€™s mail because the letter was stuck in between pieces of my mail and the carrier didnā€™t notice it. Iā€™ve even had a lawsuit against someone else ā€œservedā€ on me where whoever ā€œservedā€ it stuck it between my screen door and the mail door and left. The law office was a bit put out when I called them and told them I had no clue who this person they were trying to sue was, they hadnā€™t been at this address for at least the 7 years Iā€™d lived there and probably longer since they werenā€™t the person who lived there before me, and did they want to send someone to pick up their paperwork or should I just throw it in the trash? After all that, I can see someone not actually receiving a warrant if it was just mailed to them.

23 Likes

There are sick, twisted freaks like this, roaming Americaā€™s streets freely, and some people want to repeal the death penalty?

13 Likes

Why wasnt she jailed for renting it?

But seriously, bankers.

5 Likes

ā€œWarrants never expireā€, but the charges on which a warrant is based do. Come on law enforcement officialā€“there is a legal concept called statute of limitations. For many states, that is 3 years on a felony (excluding some forms of homicide). Unless this lady had fled the jurisdiction or deliberately had absconded in order to avoid arrest, there would be no tolling of that statute. That warrant should have been recalled years ago.

14 Likes

There are some good comments in the discussion on /.

If youā€™re really interested in this story, you should check them out.

So, what now? The taxpayer pays to keep this woman in jail? For a flippinā€™ video tape?

4 Likes

Buck Feta

1 Like

Isnā€™t this really just a civil matter? Not a criminal one?

3 Likes

The laws for business arenā€™t the laws for you or I.

2 Likes

LIBOR, HSBC. Not a day in jail. That is all.

6 Likes

I for one will sleep sounder tonight knowing that this vicious criminal is behind bars where she belongs.

4 Likes

6th Amendment anyone? Right to a speedy trial ā€˜nā€™ all that? Thereā€™s no way in hell the case could be brought to trial.

1 Like

The important question is what movie it was.

1 Like

ā€œMonster in Lawā€ i believe

1 Like