Woman jailed for not returning video she rented 9 years ago

Ah yes. Just caught that in the news article. Was it worth it? J-Lo and Jane Fonda.

Maybe it was.

Letā€™s just hope she didnā€™t make a copy of it !

6 Likes

Interesting that this forum has 22 comments at the current time and your link to slashdot has 170 clickthroughs. I often wonder what the ration of readers of comments:posters of comments is here. Very often stories get 0 comments but thatā€™s not necessary an indicator of traffic, perhaps Rob would lift the curtain sometime.

1 Like

Thatā€™s your only problem with this? How about the fact that criminal law is being used to handle something that could easily be handled under civil law? She did nothing criminal. At most she was negligent under her video rental contract. That means that the video company should have filed a small claims suit or sent it out for collection. Involving the police in this is a gross abuse. What next? Should someone be arrested for being late on a phone bill?

5 Likes

her biggest crime is her taste in movies.

2 Likes

Why would they? The prison system in the usa is exclusively for the (wage)slave population, and oppressed minorities. Or am I missing something about american law?

3 Likes

Certified mail is signed for by the receiver. Itā€™s not just left at your mailbox.

Truth! Sadly, here is the reaction of most Americansā€¦ Although few do it as adorably as Jeff Goldblum, but still. This is how they feel:

3 Likes

About 500 views, so ~3-4%? Maybe knock a little off for people responding to previous comments.

The statute of limitations is the time between the crime and the commencement of the prosecution. An arrest warrant begins the prosecution. There is no time limit once a warrant is issued.

Fucking Blockbuster!

1 Like

I suspect that there is much more to the story. It appears unlikely that the police in question have cleared their blotter to the point that executing a warrant for a trivial, nine-year-old offense was the best use of their time. So it would be interesting to know who was upset with the woman for what, and who misused their authority. One could also question the judgement of the arresting officer and whoever auhorised the arrest.

4 Likes

I wonder if she lives in one of those states that has privatized prisons

6 Likes

You are correct. Had a mind burp on that one.

She has thousands of friends now. We should do something about this.

1 Like

Go on.

Perhaps she wasnā€™t kind and didnā€™t rewind.

8 Likes

does anyone else think itā€™s maybe a bit tabloid and hysterical to use the word ā€œjailedā€ to describe spending a night in a cell while under arrest? when i read ā€œjailedā€ i think custodial sentence.

No itā€™s correct; jailed is before sentencing, and prison is post sentencing.

2 Likes

Supposedly A History of Violence is the last major release on VHS

Also The Ring came out in 2002 and I saw it later by renting it on tape, which really did add to the effect.