Ghostwriting's plagiarism problem

Originally published at: Ghostwriting's plagiarism problem | Boing Boing

10 Likes

It’s just terrible to hear that someone is sullying the purity of the relationship between a prestigious author and a background content serf with messy failures of attribution.

11 Likes

Is there a term other than victimless crime where everyone involved is awful?

6 Likes

“Just desserts”?

8 Likes

No One Landscape GIF

ETA: Dammit, not fast enough! You corrected your spelling, lol.

6 Likes

All that sand seems fair.

3 Likes

There’s really only so many words and so many possible combinations. :wink:

3 Likes

There are two forms of plagiarism. The first is where someone puts in a bunch of stuff they’ve taken from someone else, and doesn’t acknowledge or cite the borrowings.

Academic papers are the antithesis of this. You explicitly rely on citing published work to support your own original argument.

Obviously, though, if you’re supposed to be being creative, you can’t simply borrow swathes of content from other creatives. To even acknowledge it would deny your own supposed creativity. And you’re supposed to be educated and familiar with the content involved in your field of creativity.

But now we have the second form of plagiarism, where you use an AI tool to write stuff for you, and another AI tool to scan it for plagiarised material, and when it all goes wrong you throw up your hands.

4 Likes

I’m dealing with students who plagerised their lab reports as we speak

My favorite plagiarism story ever. Now, it IS second hand, but the source is reliable.

My friend was going to Hanover College in IN at the time. And she’s in class when the professor calls out this girl for plagiarism on her last paper.

Can you guess the class? Why, yes! It WAS an ethics class.

Can you guess the subject of the paper? It was, indeed “plagiarism”

Keeping in mind, this was 1992, so most normal people would have just copied the entry on the World Book Encyclopedia CD-ROM. Not her. She copied a paper written *by the professor *

5 Likes

hey now, just because it’s commonly known doesn’t mean it’s not crazy.

IS_THIS_GIRAFFE_FROM_THE_BOILING_ISLES_The_Owl_House_Season_3_Thanks_to_Them

1 Like

Do giraffes ghostwrite a lot of books or are they just flat out serial plagiarists?

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

i don’t know if giraffes read whole books, let alone write them… they’re really more into browsing

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.