Giant crane collapses

Yup. Liebherr has been making making cranes since 1949, I’m pretty sure they know what they’re doing. Incidentally, still a family firm.
Interesting story, too. Hans Liebherr ran a little constructing firm and designed a tower crane to help with that, in 1949. A couple of years later, he rented a cable-driven excavator for one of his projects and was underwhelmed by its performance. So he designed a hydraulic excavator.
And so on.

4 Likes

Leave the table where it is and move the house? :smiley:

3 Likes

It is kinda like that now - we erected a tent over the table.

2 Likes

When my dad drew up the plans for the house my parents currently live in, he started with the dimensions of the living room wall unit in their flat and basically designed the rest of the house around that.

3 Likes

“Give me a place to stand, and a lever long enough, and I will move the world. ”

― Archimedes

And: something something structural materials something something…

2 Likes

A year from now it’ll be revealed that the hook was never load tested, or used beyond its design constraints, or something mundane. And it will be used as a classroom example for a few years, until those lessons are forgotten again.

1 Like

Just remove the floor and lift the building over the table. Seriously: If it is someting like a modern industrial shed you might be able to remove the sheet metal wall between two segments of the supporting structure. Even if it’s some older industrial building with a steel skeleton and brick fills it should be relatively simple to temporarily create a sufficient opening by removing the bricks between two vertical stilts. With a massive construction, you’re pretty much f’d up.

2 Likes

It is a farm building with brick walls, but luckily the doors are huge, it’s just the roof that is problematic to remove so we can’t use crane. We will probably use a heavy duty forklift, like @tabularasa recommended, maybe with house moving dolly on the other side because forks may be too short. Once it is inside, probably machine skates under each leg and a slight push with farm tractor :slight_smile:

Liebherr says the hook, made by a Dutch company, was rated for 5500 kg but broke at 2600

5 Likes

Vielen dank!

1 Like

Interesting. I had just assumed that Leibherr made everything itself. I hadn’t realized the hook would have been outsourced.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.