Giant stinky Corpse Flower, blossoming: animated GIF timelapse

[Permalink]

Is there a Smell-o-Vision version?

4 Likes

Am I going mad, or is one of the .gifs time-reversed? The stench has warped the very fabric of time!

2 Likes

I’m imagining all of the people flocking around it and saying, “Oh gawd, yes - that really DOES smell horrible.” And then a few years later saying, “Does anybody else want to go back and see if that corpse flower was really as stinky as we remember it?”

3 Likes

Is there a non-flashy version? Because, fuck, that hurts to see.

1 Like

@Boundegar @xeni

Can we please… STOP… this gif madness. FIRST the creator of them doesn’t know how pronunciation works. SECOND the internet suddenly remembers that they’re a thing. THIRD videos that already exist in crispy HD on youtube are downsampled to 256 shared colours across the whole animation and shared as if they’re something new. FOURTH people insist on using this laughable animation format with non-existant compression instead of the already-widely adopted animated APNG format. FINALLY some shithead somewhere makes the gif tiny because how else are you going to reduce filesize to less than several meg (All three put together equals 2.4mb). The circle of signal loss is completed by posting the tiny, truncated animated gif 3x larger than the original.

All of that said, here is a full animated gif using all the frames they have in their three separate gifs. Id recommend using this instead for the post image since the one being used now is a sore disappointment. I’m like… oh yeah… corpse flower… cool… OOOH - IT’S OPENIN- oh wait. These people might be good at keeping corpse flowers alive but they fucking suck shit at graphics (and keeping the camera in the same spot between takes)!

5 Likes

You skipped the last two phases, where somebody adds the caption “FRIENDS ARE LIKE CORSPE FLOWERS,” and then preteen girls everywhere stick them on their facebook with a hundred other flashing twirling things.

1 Like

Exactly. There’s a time and a place for gifs, and timelapse isn’t one of them. Thanks for the re-gif. Much better.

I used to have a stapeliad that was pollinated by flies. It was pretty stinky, but only if you got up close to it. And I knew how stinky it was, but every year when it bloomed (bonus: the blooms looked like starfish) I stuck my nose in it anyway. There was a strange appeal to being reminded of the awfulness.

And I’d also say that it would be worth going back in spite of the smell, because it’s just an amazing plant to look at.

2 Likes

I had a membership to the Huntington for something like 5 years and somehow never managed to see this thing. Too busy stuffing my face in the Tea Room, belike.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.