Gif Peanut Butter available March 1, 2020

O wad some Pow’r the jiftie jie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

– Robbie Burns, To A Louse (corrected)

6 Likes

It definitely always sounded like “jif” in the olden times. It makes an initial sound just like in giraffe, gin, gaol, gibbet, gem, etc.

2 Likes

Is there some graph we can plot this on?
Did I say that right?

8 Likes

… then wouldn’t it sound more like zhif? For some reason, I have never been able to remember which one is which when people refer to hard and soft “g” sounds.

1 Like

says giraffe outloud, then graph

noel-fielding-mind-blown

7 Likes

Au contraire, my jammed up friend. May you be cursed, so that, in future, everyone’s breath you smell is peanut butter breath! (Yuck.) I recently bought a bottle of Skippy in order to compare it to Jif. (Both were the creamy kind.) The Skippy was much too sweet. The Jif had a robust peanut butter flavor.

(And I will be looking for this Jif bottle.)

1 Like

The joke is that, like ‘str’ or ‘fsck’, it belongs to a domain where words don’t have pronunciations. People who pretend to care how to pronounce ‘gif’ simply mark themselves as toe-curling eternal-september noobs.

4 Likes

Even more pointless than you thought, because language is up to those who use it; the hard “g” won long, long ago.

2 Likes

I knew the file extension GIF was pronounced like the peanut butter name intuitively the first time I saw it in the 1980s. I later found it interesting that the creator of the format also pronounced it that way. GIF with a hard g will always sound GOOFY to me.

1 Like

YES!!! Hard G WINS!!!

1 Like
2 Likes

Do they have an extra-oily line of peanut butter? I need to stock up for Burn All Jifs day.

I’m pretty sure that was the intended joke, my friend.

1 Like

Pronounced “joofEH.”
It’s French in origin, you see.

2 Likes

That would certainly help explain their fascination with Jerry Lewis o.o’ .

7 Likes

Just gonna point out that when people who say it with a soft G want to type a comment describing how they pronounce it, they spell it with a J instead of a G. If they really think it should be pronounced with a soft G, then why write the wrong letter?

12 Likes

Gary could decide how his name is pronounced. Gary’s parents could not, once Gary is out in the world for himself.

Anyway, a personal name, reinforced every day by the holder, is not comparable to the name of a file format.

1 Like

I will take up doing just that, starting today.

2 Likes

"

“but others (myself included) say “jif” because it’s more mellifluous.”

5 Likes