How to pronounce GIF

Continuing the discussion from .gif BANK for the BBS:

#YOU ESS UH! YOU ESS UH!

See also:

NATO
LASER
Scuba
ROM/CD-ROM

There’s quite a wide variety of pronouniation methods of acronyms and their ilk - I mean “CD-ROM” is a bastard child, obviously, with plenty of siblings.

9 Likes

‘Jif’… Bah.

Not only is it a hard G because Graphics, it’s an acronym, so the pronunciation should try to be unambiguous.

9 Likes

#graphicsnotgiraffics

Clever jirl

12 Likes

Imma shoot you with my USA-made, NATO-issued LASER, it’s an acronym, so the pronounciation should be unambiguous.

light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation

LAH-SEER

2 Likes

9 Likes

It’s pronounced ‘queef’.

Except they oscillate light, not amplify it, so that should be pronounced LOSER.

11 Likes

I don’t pronounce it, which makes things much simpler.

2 Likes

It’s pronounced YIFF, everyone knows that!

21 Likes

Ping or Pung?

3 Likes

Couldn’t it be “Pee In Gee”?
Though it’s ping, and anyone who says otherwise is a monster.

4 Likes

Wtf are you talking about, there ain’t a vowel innit! Pee In Gee! When I use wtf do you pronounce it wuhft!? One Internet Demerit :dromedary_camel:

5 Likes

Oh, there isn’t really a vowel since the I is silent (as is the P, while the ng is nasalized).
I hope the creators some day announce that it’s pronounced phung.

4 Likes

I think @OtherMichael should rename this thread to “Nerd words that were never meant to be pronounced, but get argued over anyway”

11 Likes

how should one pronounce nwtwnmtbpbgaoa?

2 Likes

Throat Warbler Mangrove.

11 Likes

Should one pronounce nwtwnmtbpbgaoa?

2 Likes

5 Likes

The real question is how would Trump say it?

2 Likes

I remember when the Apple tools tried to convince everyone that the SCSI interface, which had been pronounced SKUZ-ee pretty much since day 1, should instead be pronounced “sexy”, because they couldn’t handle the idea that Apple is associated with anything “scuzzy”. They failed. Idiots.

9 Likes

GYOOOOOUUUF!

12 Likes