How to pronounce GIF

Pwh

edit: or perhaps Pwoo or Pmmmn

it is a hard fucking “G”.

15 Likes

On second thought, he’d probably say “nerd crap”.

10 Likes

“zheef” like a French “g” just because.

9 Likes

It’s not ‘/fɪɡ/’?

1 Like

Post the JIFF of it when you’re done.

“JIFFS OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN”

9 Likes

Some people have called it nerd crap. That’s what I’ve heard. You be the judge if it is nerd crap or not. He’s lying, you know. He’s the biggest liar up here. I’m not calling him a liar; it’s just what I’ve heard. People have said he’s a big liar, so if it is nerd crap he could be lying. That’s not what I think; it’s just what I’ve heard, that he’s a liar, lying about nerd crap.

12 Likes

4 Likes

Technically, USA is an initialism. Much like BBC, CPU, and NSA.

1 Like
9 Likes

aka LOSERS

3 Likes

SEE OP

The first three are Yousa, Beeb and See poo.

4 Likes

THAT’S NOT HOW IT’S PRONOUNCED. CEE OAH PEE.

gawd, get it right
why is recursion so fun?

4 Likes

Nothing’s GNU under the SUN

3 Likes
:Lbl A
:Goto A
4 Likes

Everybody was confused. “Can you explain this?!?” they cried.

So I tried to. “Once upon a time there was a thing called recursion, where a function can call itself with the product of itself, and hopefully an exit condition exists so it can exit at some point and return the value to the caller.”

There was general consternation. “But isn’t that a loop?!?” they cried out, again.

I thought for a bit. “No, a loop is when something repeats itself over and over, the same way, without providing its own output as input for the next iteration. It’s like a Moebius strip.”

Everybody was confused. “Can you explain this?!?” they cried.

So I tried to…

11 Likes

That’s not an argument, that’s simple contradiction!
No it isn’t!
Yes it is!
No it isn’t!
Yes it is!

6 Likes

my take has always been towards ease-of-use, but I guess that’s a personal decision?

in English, G + vowel can render the G either hard or soft, and there are plenty of instances of both. But—newsflash–English spelling is piecemeal and arbitrary. If I say “Donald Trump is a stupid git,” did you read “git” as soft-G?

We have here a new, made-up word; why not divorce it entirely from any “rules” of English to which there are always multiple exceptions? I find that hard-G is easier to say in terms of mouth movement. Hard consonants are easier to hear, and seem more catchy (I feel as though I read some pop sci somewhere which backs this up.) Even if it were a zoological abbreviation and the first word really was “giraffe,” I’d personally still prefer to say GIF with a hard-G, I feel that it’s just more user-friendly that way.

The first time you encounter the file format on your computer you usually don’t already know what the G stands for. In that moment, I mentally assigned it a hard-G. As with my “git” example above, I really have a hard time imagining that anyone had the unbiased inclination towards a soft-G; then again I am a bit out-of-step with the world. Did any of you soft-G-sayers do so without being told it was “correct?” Then again, maybe the creator’s pronunciation should be a trump card, we do not usually defend the changing of a given name’s pronunciation when our mispronunciation is pointed out. Certainly not in a person’s name. Then again, this is a product. Everyone has always called Coca-Cola “Coke,” but before IIRC the WW2 era, the corporation was adamant that “Coke” was subversive and refused to use it in any advertising. The end-users seem to have won that battle.

I guess the ultimate question is “Are soft-G-sayers doing it because they are correcting a natural inclination toward hard-G that we all had, only because they found out that the creators wanted to steal a well-known advertising slogan in order to popularize their new format?” I reject this argument.

OR was there a snap decision to use the soft-G pronunciation when they first read it? I personally don’t see it, but I’m admitting my bias. If so, then it’s like some people are left-handed and some are right-handed: both are correct. Like schedule and tomato, there are two acceptable pronunciations and we should just quit arguing about it. Even though I still think it ought to be a hard-G for ease-of-use reasons, I can at least accept that a person parses it as a soft-G without any dumb sloganeering agendas attached.

3 Likes

The rules of English are:

1. spelling is a guide to history, no pronounciation
  2. grammar, meaning and spelling are dictated by use, not rules.

Which means I pretty much agreeing with you.

Anybody who says “but GRAPHICS!” is promulgating the same sort of prescriptivist illogic that rails against splitting most infinitives and what people end prepositional-ending sentences with.

8 Likes