Studying the sounds of Blade Runner

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/19/studying-the-sounds-of-blade-r.html

3 Likes

I have a copy of the sound track, it’s very amazing.

4 Likes

Me too! It’s utterly brilliant.

But OMG, “Vangelis” is pronounced with a hard G? I’ve been pronouncing it wrong all these years???

Jeez, next thing you know someone’s going to tell me “GIF” is supposed to be pronounced that way too. As if.

6 Likes

If you have the equipment:

The sound just rolls around you.

If you cannot buy it anywhere, I’m sure an iso is somewhere on the net

1 Like

I asked a Greek friend once about the proper pronunciation of his name, and she pronounced it with a silent “n” and a hard “g”. Seems like we’ve ALL been mispronouncing his name through the years.

1 Like

Seeing the film at 18 had a huge impact on the kind of music I’ve gone on to listen to.

This is a video of a man explaining brilliant scoring and opulent soundscapes that you can’t hear because he’s explaining them to you.

2 Likes

How did he get that “meep meep” sound?

2 Likes

If anyone here hasn’t heard them, it’s REALLY worth tracking down two unofficial releases, both on the “Esper” imprint:

While the “ultimate edition” compilation version of the soundtrack is indeed definitive, it’s the “Los Angeles November 2019” that gets the most spins in this house. It’s all ambient sound effects, incidental, and mood objects, culled from the movie, official video game versions, and other sources. The ultimate ambient Blade Runner.

UPDATE: And now it seems there’s a 25th(?) anniversary Esper Edition, expanded, remastered, I guess I’m going to have to find this one now.

2 Likes

PLEASE tell me there is matching font for that!

Unfortunately picture disks are notorious for not good sound quality. Due to the manufacturing process there will always be more noise than a normal LP.

I know, right? I’ve decided it’ll always be a soft-g for me personally, hard-g in public.

That was a surprise to me, too – I saw Jon Anderson in concert last year (who’s recorded with Vangelis quite a bit) and he pronounced his name as “Van-Gell-is”, with a hard G. I had no idea!

One of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

http://www.dafont.com/blade-runner.font

1 Like

And guess what? I have a simliar font but forgot about it…

I guess you added in the bird yourself?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.