Blade Runner 2049 trailer

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/08/blade-runner-2049-trailer.html

3 Likes

6 Likes

Interesting that the lettering on the window in the mansion is in Hangul (Korean alphabet) – so the Koreans are on top in 2049? That’s new. The original kind of mixed Japanese and Chinese references (not to mention the Hungarian-influenced “cityspeak” that Gaff spoke) but not really Korean.

5 Likes

we’re going to miss the likes of brion james carismic character acting

4 Likes

Or this movie might have a globe-trotting aspect, instead of being entirely in future-LA.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, seeing that air pollution seems to be less of an issue in this version - at least somewhat removed from Los Angeles.

4 Likes

What no voice-over? Hard pass.
/s

4 Likes

Misty, fog-enshrouded inner city atmosphere. Check.

Flying vehicles with manta ray horn-like thingies on their front ends. Check.

Imposing quasi-pyramid monolithic structures. Check.

Oblique visual references to a world of high-tech marketing. Check.

Harrison Ford. Check.

Ridley Scott. Check.

I wonder if they left anything out.

2 Likes

Vangelis score?

5 Likes

Who did the score for this one?

Okay. I just checked: Jóhann Jóhannsson

Same guy who did Sicario and Arrival. That’s good. I think Villenueve works with him a lot.

4 Likes

The internet is right.

Now, what about those space jockeys on display? I did hear about a theory linking Alien and Blade Runner before…

edit found it

http://www.tor.com/2012/10/05/new-prometheus-material-confirms-blade-runner-and-alien-share-a-universe/

And there is also the link with the Predator universe and Terminator.

3 Likes

Wait…Harrison Ford has aged? There goes the premise from the first film (Director’s Cut) that Decker is definitely, absolutely a replicant with implanted memories of a unicorn dream.

7 Likes

I thought the trailer showed it COULD be good. I think they might capture the tone of the world, but we’ll see if the actual movie is good.

(That said, the original Blade Runner took a few viewings before I warmed up to it, but whenever you can’t stop thinking about a movie a few days later, you know it was something special.)

2 Likes

although I mostly agree, i’ve become a fan of Batista.

1 Like

Eh, way too much creepy-floaty visual metaphor. The original was concrete like a bullet.

Some folks call it a sling blade. I call it a Kaiser blade.

7 Likes

Businesses that will cease to exist within 10-20 years?

2 Likes

I just signed up to the BB BBS to mention this and found you already had it covered. I mean, Harrison Ford’s a nice get and all, but dang, how y’all trying to watch a Blade Runner without Vangelis?

8 Likes

Yeah, I must admit, I saw the opening screen for the trailer and thought to myself - “In the name of God, don’t let Deckard/Ford get behind the wheel of a damn flying car”…

4 Likes

That means Blade Runner and Prometheus are part of the Tommy Westphall universe! Weyland-Yutani was mentioned as existing in Angel, and the Buffyverse is part of the Westphall universe by way of brand names.

3 Likes