Gif Peanut Butter available March 1, 2020

I’m gonna just say here what I’ve said elsewhere, no matter where you fall on this debate you’d be a fool to think Jif brand peanut butter was taking the hard-g stance as anything more than a blatant attempt to maintain brand identity.

1 Like

hard. If youre a Scandinavian.

/s

giphy-4

G, for Great Dane.

7 Likes

Xylophone is spelled with an X, that’s wrong, xylophone’s zzzz, X? I don’t see it. It should be a Z up front, next time you have to spell xylophone, use a Z

And when someone says that’s wrong, tell them they need to have their head Z-Rayed

-Hedburg

2 Likes

In certain circles, maybe. I didn’t even know that hard “g” gif was a thing until a few years ago.

But enough of that…

Mac rulez and windows droolz.

Debate!

1 Like

I agree. Hence the Google/Joogle part.

Pronounced “zed”. :wink:

7 Likes

You’re all wrong. It’s Jay-Eff.

Just don’t make me JFIF all of your asses.

As mentioned above, considering there is also a “.jif” graphics file file format, using a soft “g” for “.gif” simply is unlikely to ever catch on, any more than it already has; why encourage unnecessary confusion? I doubt more than 1 in 10 of people who ever refer to the .gif format in the first place, use the soft “g”.

Similarly, in response to everyone who ever said “ain’t” is not a word… It’s a word in the dictionary with all the other words. Insistence otherwise hasn’t changed that fact for many years.

If that bothers you, relax and go diagram a sentence. Living languages are not static.

2 Likes

Especially when the creator is so obviously and massively wrong. :wink:

1 Like

it’s funny that where it would normally say “creamy” or “chunky”, it says “animated looping images”

OK, but is this creamy or chunky?

2 Likes

How could you possibly know that? As I mentioned, I had never heard someone pronounce it that way until recently. You state that language is living and dynamic, while also positing that since there is already a .jif The world should just settle on hard g to avoid confusion.

Also, .jif is basically never used outside of very specific industries, while .gif is damn near everywhere.

1 Like

You’re all wrong

1 Like

nods I was channeling my inner Frank Drebin.

Pronounce things the way you want, as long as the person you’re talking to understands what you’re talking about. I cringe every time someone says “noo-kyuh-lurr,” but I don’t correct them, because though I am a pedant, I’m not a dick.

7 Likes

And thank you all for restoring my faith in the power of the internet to debate properly useless trivia. You’ve brought a smile to my day.

Gah! (or jah!), whatever. I’m just here to say that Jif is terrible peanut butter.

3 Likes

“I doubt” does not imply that I know that. That’s why I used those words; it’s merely my opinion.

1 Like

That’s a fair point, but it also ignores that way more people were pronouncing it with a hard G long before the creator weighed in to suggest otherwise. It’s completely arbitrary to say that it’s a soft G when just to look at it, it’s the word Gif(t) without the ‘t’. Why would anyone make the leap to pronouncing it as “jif” especially when the peanut butter long predates it? That’s why “jif” has always sounded wrong to me and why this promotion exists now.

I have to admit I’m surprised Jif didn’t come down in favor of the soft G because it’s all in all a positive thing to be associated with and free marketing. It’s not like spam e-mails which I’m sure Hormel would love to not be associated with their creepy meat product.

1 Like