Gillian Anderson wants you to tell her your sexual fantasies (if you're a woman)

Originally published at: Gillian Anderson wants you to tell her your sexual fantasies (if you're a woman) | Boing Boing

10 Likes
2 Likes

Gillian Anderson wants you to provide free content for the book she will be paid for and profit from.

4 Likes

Unlike all those men who never profited a thin dime off sex… /s

22 Likes

Well, this thread is going to be a measured discussion on women’s sexuality… /s

Uh Oh Sam GIF by GLOW Netflix

27 Likes

I wasn’t talking about profiting “off sex”. I was talking about profiting from other people’s content, provided for free (regardless of the subject of that content).

1 Like

As I said, as if men have not been doing that (specifically with regards to sex) for a very long time. It’s apparently ONLY a problem if women do it.

16 Likes

So, she’s going from playing a sex therapist to becoming one? Because that’s pretty awesome if that’s the case and I dig it. Love Sex Education, it’s a fantastic show.

15 Likes

Yes, great program. Anderson’s character is wonderful.

11 Likes

I read the Guardian essay yesterday and felt full sure it would be popping up here. If you haven’t yet do read it. It’s great. She’s great. And the project sounds fantastic.

And we love Sex Therapy in our house. What a great show. Also important is how inclusively she has framed the call for contributions.

As for money? I’m sure it’s buttons she’ll get for this and she’d earn far more spending the time on Broadway or taking the Mouse House buck and donning spandex in the MCU. This is a passion project for her (from her essay and I believe her) I’m sure it will be excellent.

14 Likes

You seem to be calling out an unconscious bias which has made me comment on this story only because it’s a woman who’s profiting from free content in this case. I accept that that’s an interesting point because I’ve never publicly commented on anyone profiting from others’ free content before. Thank you for making me think about this.

4 Likes

When an author does this isn’t it just called book research? Seems like a pretty standard practice.

16 Likes

Seth Meyers Idk GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

I’ve never heard of this show and now think I may need a Netflix account.

6 Likes

It’s been on my list to watch for a while, doubly so, now that Ncuti Gatwa will be the new Doctor, and he’s supposed to be great in it!

14 Likes

It’s easily the best reason to get Netflix since they axed Glow and Orange finished.

13 Likes

Get on it! Sex Education is hilarious, with great writing and wonderful characters.

16 Likes

I would love for this to do well, not only because it’s always a good thing for people to realize they are just like everyone else and not “weird” for their fantasies, but as an added bonus, hopefully turn into something that men could watch and realize “Oh, women’s fantasies are a lot like mine, maybe they’re not from Venus after all.”

Best of luck with this!

18 Likes

The main character (Otis) is kind of a dick, though. (Not spoiler-blurring this, it’s super obvious.)

2 Likes

At first, yes, but I think he gets better as the seasons go on.

Anyway, for me, the protagonist being a dick doesn’t automatically detract from a story’s being worth watching. I actually think his mother, played by Gillian Anderson, is even more of a “dick,” but also that she’s a fantastic character.

12 Likes