Girls care more about playing as girls than boys do about playing as girls

They’ll usually emphasize agility over power and find that style of play more rewarding. Of course there’s no need to have a female player just for that and no reason to not make a female barbarian which is what makes it lazy.

2 Likes

I remember reading (years ago) an article about gamers who play another gender, but for the life of me I cannot find it anymore (help!).

I believe there was a study about the reasons man plays as female, and there were interesting explanations, such as “guys just want to help female characters, and give me stuff”.

But the most interesting point in that article was that men don’t know how to roleplay as women, that they mostly play them as “ice queen with no feelings” or “incredibly promiscuous”.

The author also mentioned a game at a rpg convention, where participants would be given premade character sheets: the promoters were worried that players would have a hard time playing women personas, even though some of the male characters included some sort of monk that could shape-shift into a bear.

1 Like

My three-year-old doesn’t know how to roleplay as a teacher when she plays daycare with me. She has a very bizarre idea of what a teacher does and what motivates a teacher.

I’m not saying that men are three - and everything I am saying here should be taken with an understanding that there is more difference within the sexes than between them and means are one thing but standard deviations are another.

I wonder, though, how many times men get the chance to play “woman”. Men are extremely socialized to not show feminine characteristics and to find women bizarre and incomprehensible. Men are supposed to say, “I don’t understand women.” Maybe letting men have some space to play as female characters is a good thing to gathering understanding, just like my daughter is learning as she plays teacher.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.