Giving the finger is a "God-given right," rules judge

Originally published at: Giving the finger is a "God-given right," rules judge | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Excellent!

s reactions share GIF

27 Likes

Finger if you got 'em.

23 Likes

19 Likes

http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Double_Deuce

8 Likes

I feel “pull my finger” is also a god-given right.

So. . . pull my finger. Go on, DO IT!

4 Likes

I might include “Flipping the proverbial bird is a God-given, Charter-enshrined right that belongs to every red-blooded Canadian” as part of my email signature.

6 Likes

The larger context here is less silly than it might seem. Canada’s free speech laws are different than the US in many key ways. Things like hate speech and certain kinds of threats are explicitly illegal. It’s not totally crazy that cops would arrest him for this to let the courts sort it out. Depending on the details of the situation (of which we have few here) it’s conceivable that the twin birds could have been illegal speech.

Americans may balk at this and there is plenty of room for healthy debate about which system is more just in various scenarios, but this is the system here.

17 Likes

1 Like

This jumped out at me …

So the police arrested the person making the rude gesture and not the one making implied threats with a power tool? I’ll grant that it’s safer, at least.

11 Likes

But it’s bilingual ! (gauche et droit)

3 Likes

mr rogers middle finger GIF

12 Likes

Dammit man; you beat me to it… that’s my favorite one!

12 Likes

4 Likes

So one guy threatens the other with a chainsaw, which gets him the bird in response… and the guy that gave the finger gets arrested?

Did I miss something?

Ah yes, there it is… Quebec.

5 Likes

Thank goodness. I was afraid I might have committed a crime when I saluted some of the big-flag crowd celebrating the anniversary of the Freedumb Convoy the other day.

6 Likes

I’m sure (well, almost sure) that you’re 100% joking about being afraid of having committed a crime, but that does raise an interesting point: as a Canadian long steeped in American political and cultural discourse, how many rights do I think I have that in reality I don’t (or vice versa)?

2 Likes

My fave is Steve Buscemi in Airheads:
330 Steve buscemi❤️ ideas | steve buscemi, buscemi, steve

7 Likes

That one’s pretty badass, too!

Definitely points for Artistic Merit.

5 Likes

It’s my second fav.

5 Likes