Glow-in-the-dark inks, real bullet holes, and other gimmicky comic book covers (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/16/glow-in-the-dark-inks-real-bullet-holes-and-other-gimmicky-comic-book-covers-video.html

3 Likes

this work made bank for those of us in the letterpress and specialty print finishing business. foil stamping, embossing, combo foil/emboss, specialty coatings (glitter UV, glow-in-the-dark UV coating) kept the money flowing. one particular title would pull out all the stops - Lady Death. we did some crazy applications to those covers!

good gig. got to meet some of the artists and talk nerdy to each other!

9 Likes

in my young teens I collected X-Men but I had to buy this Ghost Rider issue just for how badass it was.

5 Likes

I got that glow in the dark cover!

I got several of the gimmick covers. I really liked the wolverine cover that had a die cut to look like a slashed file folder.

I remember reading about that Jab book where they shot each copy. I think ever 20th copy had “powder burns” - and gasp - none of them were mint!

4 Likes

I have that wolverine one, too! forgot all about that. I think it was that issue where they went full idiot and disclosed how orphan Logan was raised in the wilderness by a pack of wolverines. sheesh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.