GM announces the EV Corvette

Originally published at: GM announces the EV Corvette | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Just in time for a hot Corvette Summer

17 Likes

Not exactly on topic, but the C2 used in the post is just lovely. My favorite Corvette era of all time. I’m particularly fond of the C2 1966 model.
I met a guy a few years ago who had a pristine '67 with factory side pipes and “Tri-Power” carburetors.

I like the new model - some folks didn’t care for the major change in body style and making it mid-engine, but I think it’s cool looking. Better in person.

7 Likes

Surely an always subjective estimation. Their universal ugliness (to me) has long made me think that any one of them should have veins painted on the side.

8 Likes

Really they’ve only announced a hybrid version for next year. A full electric version is still in the “vague statement of intent” phase.

5 Likes

Yes, the big car companies are very good at “announcing” electric vehicles. The Chevy Bolt is an outstanding car (I had one for a few years) but otherwise we need to be moving a lot faster. The truck segment in particular is desperately underserved right now, with the Ford Lightning tantalizingly close but forever 3 months away (or two years away in Canada) and the electric Silverado has been “announced” for going on two years now with no ability to even pre-order one yet.

They’re spending a lot to make us all feel like they are solving the problem while continuing to push out more planet killing soccer mom SUVs. The only reason they are doing anything at all is because of coming fleet emissions crackdowns. This is why government regulation is the only way out of climate change. Egomaniac billionaires will not save us.

21 Likes

I’m not emotionally invested in the brand and don’t really have a problem with the new model, which I’m sure is a fun sports car to drive. But I do think that when they make so many fundamental changes to a car model all at once, rather than go through a more gradual evolution, it’s kinda silly to even call it the same model rather than just give it a whole new name. I mean, I guess I get that they want to maintain their connection with a valuable brand, so I know why they do it, but can anyone really seriously claim that a car with a completely new body style and fundamentally different drivetrain layout is really the same model of car?

Obviously Chevrolet isn’t the only company to do this but it’s one of the more extreme recent examples.

2 Likes

If GM made the EV version in the exact same styling as one of the 60’s models that would sell, and then become so ubiquitous we’d all get sick of seeing them.

6 Likes

2035 is coming fast. Can’t lose access to one of the largest markets on earth.

16 Likes

Varicose?

10 Likes

Agree wholly, on both models. The C2 remains my favorite, and if I could ever afford a nice, old sports car, a '67 is my go-to purchase. That will never happen, though. And I thought the new model looked interesting, if a bit too much like many of the hyper-performance cars on the market today. Haven’t seen it in person yet, though.

4 Likes

Was just at a “car swap” saw a 65’ rolling basket case sell for $7500, it was all there except the engine and transmission. As long as you have the time & some money, you could feasibly build one, but that’s going to take some time to finish it…

5 Likes

I saw the teevee ad announcing the 1963 Corvette split-rear-window Sting Ray during a commercial break in “Bonanza.” I desperately hoped they’d still be making such a car when I could drive and if I could ever afford one.

16 Likes

I’ve seen a few on the street. All the doo-dads cluttering it up are less visible on the all-black models, which are quite attractive in the fiberglass.

7 Likes

Ew, does that happen in the tacklebox too?

4 Likes

That “tackle” & “box” are placed in close such proximity, well there’s your problem or mine…

4 Likes

The mid-engined Corvette looks better than other recent Corvettes, but at the same time more generic.

“Is that a Ferrari or a Maclaren? Oh, it’s just a Corvette…”

6 Likes

The electric Mustang is a painful departure from the actual Mustang. It’s just another egg-shaped compact SUV.

8 Likes

It’s faster than you’ll think necessary, however.

7 Likes

Leaf Springs plural would be a noteable advancement in technology for the vintage corvette.

1 Like