GM says you don't own your car, you just license it

[Read the post]

Modern cars can, in fact, run without their code.
There are numerous solutions to ā€œStand Aloneā€ ECUā€™s that are used in high performance automobiles, and nearly any car can (with sufficient effort) be converted to run on one of those.
That doesnā€™t say much to running the accessories, though, and Iā€™d imagine most people would be grumpy if the seat heaters or bluetooth in their cars stopped working.

Itā€™s not like I was ever likely to buy a GM anywayā€¦

6 Likes

Arenā€™t there giant stacks of case law related to 3rd-party parts and repairs of automobiles being specifically OK?

Also, although I havenā€™t read the article, wouldnā€™t asserting that cars arenā€™t owned but rather licensed make more than a few enormous lending institutions that hold notes on millions of cars more than a little grumpy?

18 Likes

Not that Iā€™ve ever purchased a GM car, but I wonā€™t be starting nowā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks Mary, and the beat goes on.

1 Like

So if someone came up with open source hardware/software for cars then could that be a solution? Or would the car makers say that you canā€™t modify the car?

7 Likes

This ruling would lead to us almost owning nothing that we currently own. If this argument is valid, then anything with software would no longer be ours. TVs, Xbox, computer, phone, blu ray player, Electronic scaleā€¦the list would be huge, probably advanced appliances. This would be a consumer and economic nightmare, if not a destruction of our whole economy.

9 Likes

It simply isnā€™t true that one needs their firmware to run the car. Itā€™s like any other computer - sure, it needs firmware, but it doesnā€™t need specific firmware. Erasing GMs code should not be in violation of their copyright.

4 Likes

The problem being that GM and John Deere have voices far louder than that of voters, GM especially being a too-big-to-fail.

6 Likes

Are they putting it in the fine print and you just clicked ā€œAGREEā€ just like Apple product?

goes with my no more New cars for me plan.

Wait until the gov and big oil decide the taxpayers dont pay for the road they use.

3 Likes

Another interesting thing is how these arguments affect the used car (or tractor) market. The contract when ā€œbuyingā€ it new might say that the user needs to rely upon GM, but what if/when they sell the machine to another person? The next buyer doesnā€™t seem to have any such formality to deal with.

4 Likes

But thatā€™s already the case. Game consoles, software, phones, etc right now are things consumers donā€™t really outright own.

3 Likes

What a fucking contemptuously mundane dystopia this is turning out to be.

24 Likes

Makes ā€˜Have you driven a Ford lately?ā€™ a much more powerful advertising slogan ā€¦

3 Likes

Your tl;dr version was too long; didnā€™t readā€¦

B

1 Like

If you donā€™t own the vehicle in the first place do you even have the right to sell it to a third party? I can easily seem them wanting to control the used market for their vehicles.

8 Likes

Exactly.
Besides solutions like MegaSquirt and AEM and whatever else, thereā€™s bound to be a car equivalent to the MagicLantern project with Canon cameras.

3 Likes

I think GM might want to have a discussion with the folks at Keurig. I can imagine GM customers might not like the idea that they canā€™t use off brand parts just as much as the Keurig customers. Keurig customers had other choices for making coffee and GM customers have other options for buying cars.

8 Likes

If I donā€™t own the car that means I can return it to the dealer and stop paying for it whenever I want, right?

11 Likes

The scary part is when you consider taking it further, based on their logic.

How many things today will not run without software of some kind? Computers, obviously, and our smart phones, tablets, e-readers. And even those little things we currently use. How many sprinkler systems use software to schedule when to run? How about those things that people include in that ā€œInternet of thingsā€? Televisions, refrigerators, radios, clocks, washers & dryers.

I hope that GM and John Deere lose because otherwise we will no longer be owners but merely licensees.

3 Likes