Go back to 1962 in this Bell Telephone film from the Seattle World's Fair

Mark, are you really worried about the commentary spoiling Manos–The Hands of Fate?

Most if not all films shown on MST3K are only watchable because of the commentary track.

2 Likes

Even when the movie isn’t bad (MST3K: The Movie riffed on the 1950s classic This Island Earth) there are still plenty of things to poke fun at – like when the heroes are fighting a horrible mutant with exposed brain by bonking it on the brain and the robots give the mutant lines like “There go the piano lessons!”.

1 Like

Any ideas about what drugs those two kids were on?

You get it! Just like the movies that John Zacherle ran on his show. You watched just to see him trash them, sometimes literally.

I don’t know about Seattle in '62, but in NY just 2 years later, nobody dressed that way at the World’s Fair. Only the people working there were dressed for work. Everybody else dressed like they were going to a barbecue on a hot Summer day…

My memory of the '64 fair was that it was hot; we had an aunt with us that was complaining. I just looked it up, New York City in July 1964 was a full 15 degrees hotter than Seattle in July 1962.

1 Like

I recall being told (in a communications class) that the reason they did finally give in to the breakup, was because they wanted a piece of the lucrative PC market. They knew that would be a bridge too far, if they owned the phone system and had a piece of the computer business. (And what I learned later, IIRC, is that they were already prohibited from selling UNIX but they could donate it, which is why colleges [for example] had actual AT&T UNIX.)

So anyway they broke up the monopoly, started selling PCs and that was a complete bust for them.

I’m still passed about that Tetsuo screening back in '92 (EDIT: IRL, not on MST3K)

O thank you for that…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.