God damn you 2020

10 Likes

10 Likes

Every Brit Iā€™ve talked to who has tried root beer likens it to Germolene, an antiseptic ointment.

6 Likes

Which is a popular drink thereā€¦

4 Likes

Wish on a Shooting Star
XKCD

18 Likes

You canā€™t count on them, though. I laid down on the deck last night for almost an hour and only three Perseids showed, and even they were barely there. Lame.

14 Likes

Thatā€™s about typical. Unless you can get to a good dark sky location.

10 Likes

Yeah, my standard for meteor excellence was set by an evening up at a friendā€™s mountain cabin by a river, and it was just nonstop. Many at a time with hardly a pause between salvos.

10 Likes

Probably the Leonids then. About every 33 years they put on a 'stormā€™s event. The last one was about 12 years ago. But they give a pretty decent show every November

8 Likes

Seriously, fuck you Rick ā€œSkeletorā€ Scott for your total ruination of Floridaā€™s most precious resource - the water and bountiful fisheries that you sold to sugar, cattle and green grass golf courses. You already killed Lake O. and the St John river, the Intercoastal and Everglades. why stop there? theyā€™ve been pumping actual shit into Biscayne for decades. with the climate getting hotter and hotter, algae blooms (like what has been killing Okeechobee) was bound to start killing the coastal waters as well.

Iā€™m not ready to say goodbye to my beloved coral reef and grouper sandwiches yet. fuck all of you, ā€œSenator Skeletorā€ and your lot of science denying assholes, fuck you all!

ETA: while I do not live, boat or fish anywhere near Biscayne Bay, that nasty water does affect the reef here in the Keys, killing coral and making the fish more and more questionable to consume.

18 Likes

Seriously, thoughā€¦

7 Likes

Considering the rage that was rightfully directed at Scott for his lethal actions as Gov, I really donā€™t understand how he won that senate seat.

6 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure it was Perseids, because we were outside with the kids. In November, the cabin is at high enough altitude that there would have been snow.

1 Like

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN25A2X3

(Reuters) - Greenlandā€™s ice sheet may have shrunk past the point of return, with the ice likely to melt away no matter how quickly the world reduces climate-warming emissions, new research suggests.

And that means

If all of Greenlandā€™s ice goes, the water released would push sea levels up by an average of 6 meters ā€“ enough to swamp many coastal cities around the world.

Ignoring that if Greenland melts, obviously a great deal of other continental ice will have also melted.

15 Likes
14 Likes

11 Likes

20C is considered ā€œtropicalā€ in the UK? Here in the actual tropics, people put their jackets on when the temperature drops to 20C. Americans voted Jimmy Carter out of office for suggesting they should turn their thermostats down to 20C in the winter.

8 Likes

Thanks Obama.

tl;dr: The Obamas are buying a home in a 3-house estate which (a) is on land that was sleazed away from native Hawaiians in 1920, (b) has a seawall that should never have been built and has damaged the shoreline and monk seal habitat, (c ) has exploited a number of terrible loopholes in local property regulation law, one of which will allow continued life and expansion of that seawall, (d) when the property was acquired in 2015, obviously with the Obamas in mind, the White House issued a statement that "the president is not a party to this transaction,ā€ (e) the person who bought the property, and is developing it, is Marty Nesbitt, who (f) is Obamaā€™s ā€œfirst friendā€ and (g) Chairman of the Obama Foundation.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting read.

I saw on Google Maps some time ago that the house had been removed and always wondered what had happened. I figured the owners were tired of tourists driving by and trying to get a glimpse of the place.

3 Likes

The attempt to save ā€œRobinā€™s Nestā€ it from demolition is discussed here:

The last owner was the stepdaughter of heiress Barbara Cox Anthony, at one point the wealthiest woman in the US and the only billionaire in Hawaii.
3 Likes