God damn you 2020

There is very promising work being done to stop mosquitos from carrying the diseases at all.

5 Likes

Key Largo has had around 30 cases of Dengue this summer. It is a nasty virus, as are the others you listed. The Keys have mosquito control flying helicopters spraying larvicide all over the islands with little impact. 'Skeeters are becoming more and more resistant to the poisons in our toolbox and, thus more of a threat to human health.
GMO skeeters as a possible new tool would be a good thing, but introduces an almost unacceptable level of risk. That said, I do want to see this experiment succeed, as it affects me directly.

11 Likes
23 Likes

Giant Meteor 2020 hasn’t ended his campaign yet

21 Likes

184 votes and 30 comments so far on Reddit

15 Likes

The chance of it hitting us is just 0.41%, data show.

Just? Just?? That’s freaking high.

9 Likes

Not high enough.

1 Like

Meanwhile, it’s hazy in Tucson.

12 Likes

Seriously? Canning lids?

14 Likes

Our house came with a lot of boxes of canning lids and pectin. No jars, though :frowning: I tossed the pectin, but I’m pretty sure the lids are in the backyard storage shed.
Do unused canning lids have a shelf life or expiration date? If not, I might be sitting on a gold mine - LOL!
Will trade for canned food…

9 Likes

Well, I donated a collection (cases of jars) during my downsizing purge of 2018/2019. Somewhere, my grandmother is shaking her head because all her Great Depression stories have come back to haunt me. :pensive:

18 Likes

Its diameter is 0.002 km, or about 6.5 feet, according to NASA’s data. It was first identified at Palomar Observatory in California in 2018.

The possibility of “impact” is basically zero, anyway, with a rock that small.

2 Likes

Arizona is looking increasingly uninhabitable.

3 Likes
11 Likes

NASA is estimating a 1 in 250 chance it will hit us; I assume they’ve taken the size into consideration. Whether it has a large chance of doing us much damage is another matter, of course. Depends a bit on where it hits.

1 Like

I kinda doubt anything that size would make it to the ground intact. It’s not really small enough to slow down much in the atmosphere, and not big enough to hold itself together.

It probably still counts as striking the “Earth” if it breaks up in the upper atmosphere, but the one over Chelyabinsk was 66 feet. Might make a nice boom somewhere, though.

4 Likes

Ok, I’ll just rewatch the “Bart’s Comet” episode of The Simpsons

5 Likes

We have jars galore, empty and full, but the single use lids were frustrating. So we started using reusable Tattler lids and rings. At our house canning is now “pay once and you are good pretty much forever” proposition. (Not spam, not sponsored, just nice to not have to spend the money every year.)

11 Likes

lol, that one was awesome

3 Likes

Or it could mean that there is an even higher chance that of hitting out atmosphere, but because it might break up the chance of actual “impact” is 0.41%. Whichever of these is correct, I take issue with the article’s characterization of 0.41% as “just”.

1 Like