Good deal on a 3-year-subscription to VPN Unlimited

I always assume every such link to be affiliated. I’d consider it dumb to not profit from a recommendation if I can. (Though I would consider it dishonest to promote something I myself consider as crap if it is only because the money.)

Also, never fully trust any recommendation. Not even from me, not even if the link is fully non-affiliated. Things that can work Just Perfect for me can fail mysteriously and miserably on your configuration, in your country, if any variable on your side differs from my setup. What can be a delicious recipe for me can be a barf-inducing disaster for you.

2 Likes

I absolutely appreciate that if I buy something linked off here to Amazon that BB gets a small kickback - it doesn’t end up costing me more, it’s relatively transparent (in that the Amazon affiliate link shows clearly at the end of the URL), and everyone wins.

What has me a bit more concerned is that there seem to be a lot of products being reviewed lately, and none of the privacy/TOS/etc policies seem to clearly define issues like “sponsor-provided product”. Are products being provided to the editors in return for positive reviews?

As of about a decade ago or so, my personal policy has had to be “don’t buy anything you read about on BB unless you read the comments first” after buying a Needless Markup mosquito catcher/repellent that did neither. Buying the wrong personal privacy/VPN product certainly has a lot more possible repercussions than a $350 gadget I’d say. So thanks to the upstream comments for the PIA recommendation!

3 Likes

I took Alex (ringmybeller) at his word, I just asked for a refund from support@stacksocial.com.

PIA sounds good - which means it is probably already NSA compromised. Snowden has noted that what the NSA targets, it gets. Their exploits and resources are extensive. And a VPN is like enriched ore to the NSA, much more efficient to target than general traffic.

I admit that comments sway me, though, and in spite of my NSA misgivings (what can you do besides go all open source and pony up tens of thousands of dollars for security audits of the source code and verified hashes?) VIP sounds better than the service in the OP. Many of the posters shills. No idea, but for now, I’m assuming not, since the posts came off as credible.

Anyone have any experience with 12VPN?

or AirVPN?

I am so not making that Syrup of Ipecac Brownies recipe you posted…

3 Likes

How does one COMPLETELY uninstall VPN Unlimited on

• mac os x?

• on android?

No word on a refund after I e-mailed the above address 5 hours ago.

I am however now receiving Stack Social spam.

Thanks again Mark!

Wait, what? Are we talking about your kitchen again?

2 Likes

I’m glad Mark updated the post with this, but it brings up more problems than it solves:

At the very bottom of the page, in page the template, not the post copy, it says this:

Boing Boing uses cookies and analytics trackers, and is supported by advertising, merchandise sales and affiliate links.

I think Mark is trying to imply that the global disclaimer normally counts as sufficient disclosure for specific affiliate links in posts. It does not. That’s like saying any BB post could be entirely written by an advertiser, without any specific notice, and the global disclaimer would have it covered. It would not.

Transparency isn’t about global disclaimers in the fine print, transparency is about being upfront and conspicuous. Also, FTC guidelines are that paid endorsed content be noted conspicuously, and an affiliate link with an endorsement clearly qualifies as a paid endorsement. As does every affiliate link on BB. So the global fine print at the bottom is not sufficient.

1 Like

The FTC has guidlines that specifically applies to blogs? If so, could you provide a link to them? Also, are they “guidelines,” or rules/laws?

I guess technically I’m suspended as a troll again from Boing! Boing!, but I use and recommend AirVPN. They have a no logging policy and have never had an issue with them.

2 Likes

The FTC’s Revised Endorsement Guides are for advertising in general, and were recently updated to include blogs and other social media. They are guidelines, ones people should follow to avoid breaking the law, as opposed to the extensive statutory and case law itself. IANAL, though, so check this for yourself.

The FAQ is here:

And the Guidelines are here:

Some people may be under the misapprehension that if the affiliate link is to a product they actually like, then they don’t need to consider the affiliate link a paid endorsement. However, giving an honest endorsement and getting paid for it is still a paid endorsement.

[quote=“FTC Guidelines”]
§ 255.5 Disclosure of material connections.

When there exists a connection between the endorser and the seller of the advertised product that might materially affect the weight or credibility of the endorsement (i.e., the connection is not reasonably expected by the audience), such connection must be fully disclosed…

Example 7: A college student who has earned a reputation as a video game expert maintains a personal weblog or “blog” where he posts entries about his gaming experiences. Readers of his blog frequently seek his opinions about video game hardware and software. As it has done in the past, the manufacturer of a newly released video game system sends the student a free copy of the system and asks him to write about it on his blog. He tests the new gaming system and writes a favorable review. Because his review is disseminated via a form of consumer-generated media in which his relationship to the advertiser is not inherently obvious, readers are unlikely to know that he has received the video game system free of charge in exchange for his review of the product, and given the value of the video game system, this fact likely would materially affect the credibility they attach to his endorsement. Accordingly, the blogger should clearly and conspicuously disclose that he received the gaming system free of charge. [/quote]

[quote="FTC FAQ]
Isn’t it common knowledge that some bloggers are paid to tout products or that if you click a link on my site to buy a product, I’ll get a commission for that sale?

First, many bloggers who mention products don’t receive anything for
their reviews and don’t get a commission if readers click on a link to
buy a product. Second, the financial arrangements between some bloggers and advertisers may be apparent to industry insiders, but not to everyone else who reads a blog. Under the law, an act or practice is deceptive if it misleads “a significant minority” of consumers. So even if some readers are aware of these deals, many readers aren’t. That’s why disclosure is important…

Do the Guides hold online reviewers to a higher standard than reviewers for paper-and-ink publications?

No. The Guides apply across the board. The issue is – and always has been – whether the audience understands the reviewer’s relationship to the company whose products are being reviewed. If the audience gets the relationship, a disclosure isn’t needed. For a review in a newspaper, on TV, or on a website with similar content, it’s usually clear to the audience that the reviewer didn’t buy the product being reviewed. It’s the reviewer’s job to write his or her opinion and no one thinks they bought the product – for example, a book or movie ticket – themselves. But on a personal blog, a social networking page, or in similar media, the reader may not expect the reviewer to have a relationship with the company whose products are mentioned. Disclosure of that relationship helps readers decide how much weight to give the review. [/quote]

I should add that I was mislead. Even though I’ve commented on an other thread where a product link was revealed (by commenters, jokingly, and not by the post author) to be an affiliate link, it still did not occur to me that the link in the OP was anything other than Mark stumbling across a good deal on a product he liked. Nor did I ever notice the “disclaimer” at the bottom of the page template, even after years of reading BB.

Having read BB for years, and reading media criticism and such on the site, I’ve thought of BB as “the good guys” when it comes to things like transparency, so, frankly, I’ve been a bit blindsided by the un-marked affiliate links. I don’t think affiliate links are unreasonably, but I do think that not marking them conspicuously (In The Post Itself) is.

1 Like

Now I’m fucking pissed. Just got this reply.

Jimmy (Support)

Feb 15, 12:48 PM

Hey Rider,

Unfortunately I am unable to grant your request for a refund as we are contractually tied to a no refund policy per our deal agreement with the vendor. You can always find a deal’s Refund Policy in the TERMS section on the deal page.

Again, sincere apologies that I could not help you out with a refund. If you have any further questions or concerns, I’m happy to help.

Best,
Jimmy

1 Like

After complaining I know have my refund.

Horrible customer service.

Promise something and then force the person to bitch and explain the promise after they are turned down by form letter.

3 Likes

BB gets a lot easier to read when you realize something. The tone of high sanctimony that flares up every now and again in their policies, comment policing, and posts? It’s there in roughly equal proportion to the frequency with which BB itself is called out for doing something that other people on the internet think is a bit scummy.

Which is not to say they’re not “the good guys,” or in any event across the 50th percentile. BB certainly isn’t any more manipulative or evil than your average mid-traffic site. But it is a business first and foremost; it does make content conform to clickthroughs, and it will try to monetize your eyeballs every chance it gets. Often that’s by doing the “right” thing; sometimes not. What BB has told us a million times about Facebook is equally true for them: if you’re not paying, you’re the product.

For what it’s worth, I truly don’t think Frauenfelder was recommending a product he didn’t think was good, or consciously trying to be sneaky about the affiliate link. It’s just business. Remember that, and the general “Good Guy” tone of the place gets a lot easier to swallow.

4 Likes

Also we just caught them in a lie. If they are contractually not able to give refunds, than how are they giving refunds?

You’ve pretty much summed up my feelings on the issue. BB has educated me on media ethics, calls for transparency in government, business, even in software licensing. So I do expect BB to follow the same ethos it has espoused.

Clearly BB has evolved its position over time. It gave in on analytics - BB now helps Google spy on your every move on the internet by including Google Analytics code on every page, something that would have been anathema to earlier versions of BB. Big data was the enemy, but the subversive utility of metrics, and the the ability to leverage them for posts that generate more clicks, click throughs and ad revenue, is just too enticing for even BB to resist. But BB isn’t as filled with 3d party trackers as most commercial sites are.

Back when I worked as a salaried blogger it was pretty hard not fall prey to operant conditioning by metrics. And I assume that is what is happening here, not any specific intent to be evil. However, I do think that the reason the affiliate links don’t say “(affiliate link)” next to them in the posts is because that would reduce click throughs. So, it’s a bit of a mixed bag.

So, if even anonymous Amazon book reviewers can put “Received a copy of this book for free in exchange for an honest review” at the top of their reviews (in line with FTC guidelines, and, likely, the terms of getting advance review copies) then surely a media savvy organization like BB can be expected to do at least as well if not better. I don’t really see any valid excuses for BB not to follow FTC endorsement guidelines.

2 Likes

Hey, good of you to respond personally. It does mitigate, in my mind, some of the things being said.

However, the post with an unmarked affiliate link certainly seems to violate FTC guidelines on paid endorsements being clearly and conspicuously identified. What are StackSocial’s rules for affiliates in terms of clearly identifying affiliate links so as to not cause consumer confusion about the paid nature of the endorsements?

(Keep in mind that honest paid endorsements are still paid endorsements subject to FTC guidelines, and, in fact, all paid endorsements are legally required to be honest.)

(As in: you can’t seriously be expecting a response to that…)