Good deal on a multimeter: $7.78

I hope they spent more on manufacturing than they did on the photoshopping.

I don’t trust their ability to isolate me from whatever I’m measuring; or refrain from catching fire if the opportunity arises; I’m just impressed by their relative accuracy in what areas they do measure.

I’m assuming it’s the wonderful world of silicon at work because reviews of value-oriented electromechanical models are…less favorable.

2 Likes

I just bought a $30 wrist mounted blood pressure instrument online from China. It works… sort of.

Good deal on a multimeter: $7.78

there. fixed that for you

1 Like

I bought a case of similar multimeters (~$2.50 each from aliexpress), we give them to kids at our makerspace (with a warning not to use them on the mains)

1 Like

I suppose $7.78 is a good deal if you think that’s all you life is worth.
Whatever you do, don’t connect to anything over 30V AC with this device.
Some insulation over those long bare probes would be a good idea too.

“No, that is not a good deal on an inflatable rubber pool float, because if you were caught in a giant hurricane it would not work half as well as a luxury liner with autostabilizers!”

I mean, c’mon. Assuming the same safety precautions you should be using with any electrical work, this is a bench meter suitable for DC in the 5 and 12 VDC arena, and OK for normal 120 VAC US house current. That describes 100% of the stuff my kids do and 90% of my needs as well.

You know, the Wiggy I linked earlier will explode in your hand and fire the iron core like a bullet through nearly innocent bystanders if you attach it to a high current source running more than 1K volts. Yet, that has only happened a dozen or so times, despite the solenoid type of meter being in use since the end of the 19th century…

3 Likes

You know, that is exactly the same reaction I had! The Intertubes provide.

Oh man, I love Harbor Freight. Where else can you buy a heavy “dtuy” wrench?

7 Likes

Homer: “Look at these low, low prices on famous brand-name electronics!”

Bart: “Don’t be a sap, Dad. These are just crappy knock-offs.”

Homer: “Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there’s Magnetbox and Sorny."

6 Likes

At work we have some old nixie digital voltmeters and multimeters. They bulky and impractical, but large nixie display they use looks amazing. I got one for my workshop when it was not needed anymore at work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Link goes to some other nodel and code does not work. Thanks for trying, I suppose.

This morning I was just watching Big Clive tear down a meter. His teardown videos are pretty soothing.

1 Like

As someone that spent a lot of time as a kid dismantling things, I get a thrill out of watching teardown videos. Especially when done by experts who actually know how stuff works (and can put stuff back together again and have it still work…)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.