Don't buy the $1.99 tape measure at Harbor Freight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/28/dont-buy-the-1-99-tape-measure-at-harbor-freight.html

14 Likes

Why would you buy anything at Harbor Freight? I have never seen something of theirs that didn’t have a problem.

9 Likes

This happens on tapes from any manufacturer you can find. I’ve had Stanley and Lufkin do this. Best policy is to keep your fingers away when it retracts, but you don’t learn that until you get bit.

10 Likes

I bought their router table for $100. It works, but it is just about the most shoddy tool I’ve ever owned. The table top came with cracks, changing a bit is a nightmare and the router is made of Tonka truck plastic. Oh and the actual guide fence is useless. The Bosch version is $600 without a router and I still wish I bought that one.

7 Likes

16 Likes

I would never buy something safety critical there, but the rule of thumb I’ve found is to usually buy the cheapest version of whatever I need. If I use it enough to warrant something nicer I buy a nice version of it. It keeps me from buying a fancy version of everything I only use once or twice.

14 Likes

and the planet drowns in garbage…(no offense meant, just an observation in general)

2 Likes

I was working a job that put us in shaky places over water with constant ocean spray. Any tool used was going to be either rusted to nothing by the end of the job or dropped in the ocean. We all bought a set of tools at HF and were glad for it.

11 Likes

“Every tool we buy from Harbor Freight incurs a debt to Snap-On. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.”

12 Likes

I use the Harbor Freight tape measures to defend myself from sword-wielding substitute teachers.

23 Likes

Obligatory

6ef35f71a409d4ed3bf5960b48bb5a4cebfdbd54

hf_tool_sale.pdf (3.4 MB)

48 Likes

Harbor Freight™: For the tool you need to use once.

8 Likes

I don’t know, I have several power tools from Harbour Frieght.

A miter saw, a couple angle grinders, sawzall, an oscillating tool, and a couple nail guns.

Lots of hand tools and clamps.

I really like them and I abuse them.

They cool thing about cheap tools is I can abuse them for odd jobs because I don’t care if I destroy them but so far I haven’t destroyed them.

16 Likes

I bought a set of air compressor chucks last year thinking, “They’re milled brass, that seems hard to fuck up.” I was wrong. They’re usable, but when you’ve inserted a chuck into a hose and it doesn’t quite seat properly you’ve mistakenly built a projectile weapon.

7 Likes

Thank you. Had not seen this one previously but my late morning endorphins and tears of happiness from laughter are complete.

8 Likes

I suspect that you will never be as disappointed in that tape measure as the hardened professionals in the Tape Tunnel.

That said, Handbook 44 does not have anything to say regarding lust for blood; so maybe it would sneak past the metrologists and upset the metallurgists instead; you can practically see the terrible in that steel.

1 Like

It’s definitely hit or miss and they have some disposable brands and then they have brands like Icon that rival truck brands for hand tools. They even have some decent cordless tools now in the bauer and hercules lineups.

Its a different store than it was even 5 years ago.

7 Likes

The $20 Warrior 18V drill driver is fine. 1/3 the price of the equivalent Ryobi but for “drilling in drywall/unscrewing stuff” tier work absolutely good enough. I might post it to balance the $1.99 tape measure karma

11 Likes

dude! i need that garden hose/ extension cord combo to use with my Harbor Freight electric power washer! (which i seriously own)
:rofl:

13 Likes

Their power washer is a perfectly cromulent tool! I’ve gotten years of light use out of it. Despite being a low key HF defender, I’ll never not laugh at the jokes because there is definitely a “get what you pay for” side.

11 Likes