Good samaritan who sprayed park trees to help them heal from dog bites was fined $225

Originally published at: Good samaritan who sprayed park trees to help them heal from dog bites was fined $225 | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Shouldn’t that be “Altering Flora”? “Altering Fauna” is what you do to your unfixed pet.

35 Likes

This is a typo. The article says ‘altering flora’, which makes a lot more sense.

8 Likes

Wait, dogs bite trees?

What did trees ever do?

11 Likes

@Carla_Sinclair probably worth correcting…

Big dogs need big sticks to carry around and chase.

7 Likes

I remember when “Altering Flora” opened for “Redacted Jenny” at A0s fest. Good times!

19 Likes

I think we’ve found the culprit.

20 Likes

I was there. Too.

4 Likes

18 Likes

The assumption here is that the damage was done by the dog(s), and not the guy with no knowledge spraying substances on the trees. That assumption isn’t warranted:

“Current best practices no longer recommend applying sealants to tree wounds,” says Karl Flocke, a woodland ecologist who works for the Texas A&M Forest Service.

So actually the fine seems reasonable, as it sounds like this is a case of someone who doesn’t know what the fuck they’re doing causing further damage to trees in an attempt to be “helpful.” That is, in part, why there are fines - so idiots with no relevant knowledge don’t go around fucking up public property. This is quite similar to the volunteers who “fixed” various damaged works of art and ended up destroying them.

15 Likes

I place myself in that category.

10 Likes

Well they “barked” at the dogs of course.

14 Likes

I was going to post the same thing. “Pruning sealer” hasn’t been recommended for decades. This guy went around damaging trees that don’t belong to him then gets upset when he’s called out on it.

There’s a reason people have the job of taking care of the trees in a park. It is skilled labor.

12 Likes

(/dons cape) Dunning-Kruger man to the “rescue”!

9 Likes

I’m curious how he got caught and fined. Did witnesses turn him in, he went and told the park authorities what he did?

No good deed goes unpunished

2 Likes

Thank you AnnaTheWeird and @MadLibrarian for the catch! All fixed now.

2 Likes

A damaged work of art?

4 Likes

May I remind you of your chosen name, my deepest apologies…

4 Likes

I had a German Shepherd who ignored her toys, and ate all the bark off of an approximately 20’ tall redwood sapling in my yard for funsies.

4 Likes