Google "deletes" artist's blog, erasing 12 years of work

I hope you are kidding, and that you aren’t a actually using the reporting system as a weapon to win arguments rather than to report abuse.

1 Like

What, are you honestly saying that you think bogosity isn’t a serious problem?

Then it must be a joke!

Or - is that just what they want you to think… ?

1 Like

I think “bogosity” is your subjective opinion rather than fact. Having worked in a corporate branding department I can say, yes, consistency is in fact one of a number of important aspects of good branding.

And, again, I hope your “reporting” is a joke. I think the reporting function is used by “Regulars” all too often to enforce orthodoxy and punish people they disagree with rather than to actually report real abuse, hence why I can’t tell if you are kidding or not. And that reporting also prevents non-group think members from ever achieving “Regular” status on the board, a status which is denied based on, among, other automatic criteria, if a member has over a set number of reports.

I don’t relate, I think that branding has no reason to exist, good or otherwise. It plays to the human desire for “identity” which can never be achieved. Not to mention that in striving for a society based foremost upon accuracy, manipulating people’s emotions and perceptions seems rather crude. No branding is good branding! YMM of course V.

I agree. But as you might have noticed, I don’t care much for orthodoxy. I think that disagreement is beneficial, because people think and act too similarly. People who get offended by simple disagreement are probably too attached to their ideas (see my remarks about egoism and identity).

I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I have been flagged a crazy number of times based on unpopular statements and/or misunderstood opinions, but my guess is that admins undo those if they see no real abuse. I think that it is unfortunate that they would need to do that though. I think that so long as people are being polite, they should be able to debate pretty much anything.

So, yes, I was making fun of kneejerk reporting. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way. It was a false flag operation!

5 Likes

Not so much that it rubbed me the wrong way, more of that your post was a POE.

I should add, that I may be forced to reluctantly report to the teacher that you are a stinky-breath poo poo head for tattling on me.

2 Likes

As Cherfield or someone mentioned, it was probably TOS. However, Dennis Cooper is an awesome writer, even if some of the stuff redefines the word ‘transgressive’. “The Sluts” is disorienting, horrifying and damn near impossible to put down.

1 Like

Cool! you wear you books. Maybe this will catch on :slight_smile:

Unfortunately this is always a risk when you host your content on a 3rd party site. We all need our own home on the web for blogs, websites, etc…

Personally, I have no interest or ability to securely manage my own server. Back ups, sure. But host my own server? Yeah, there is just way, way too much complexity to security for me to want to have anything to do with it.

Save a local copy before uploading?

1 Like

Exactly. Nobody reads the TOS because the TOS document is not human readable. That is, if I want to use a service, that’s all I want to do. I want a simple, straightforward ruleset that states what is allowed, possible, and neither, total reading time less than one minute, tops. Most EULAs and TOSes aren’t; they’re massive documents written by lawyers for lawyers. And us regular people end up skipping over them and getting screwed as a result.

EULA and TOS writers, please act on. Trash all that “recommended reading time: 45 minutes” and “The party of the first part, hereforward referred to as ‘The Party of the First Part’” gibberish must be dumped!

4 Likes

I get stuff going up from multiple devices. Hard to get them from there to one place like my server or something. Apparently this works, but google drive keeps crashing on me…

What I find sad is that one can usually suck a site from blogger. Maybe someone out there liked his bloog enough to have sucked it.

Why would that be sad?

Yes, that is why we watch Dan Hon; The Movie Vol. 4 while kids have squirtgun battles with essential oils and Turkey reaffirms its secular foundations this time of year. All part of the post hoc plan.

1 Like

Damn typos, but I do have a usb stick wristband, so I can kind of wear them.

Cause if he know about it, he could have easily kept his blog locally up to date and easy to backup

Funny Rob mentions cloud storage as right now I’m pissed at Boing Boing because I paid through their store for a “lifetime” 1TB storage with Dripbit. I thought “if it’s Boing Boing offering it, should be good-ish”. Silly me, a bit over a year I get a message from Livedrive, the actual service provider (Dripbit was just a reseller), saying Dripbit hasn’t paid them for months so if I want to keep the service, I can sign to one of their plans… so much for a lifetime subscription and a brand to trust.

Basically, even when you pay for the service, they screw you very easily.

3 Likes

It certainly seems that way, doesn’t it?

If you like Face’s policies, you shoukd give Quora a try. Their arbitrary and non-specific enforcement of their Be Nice, Be Respectful policies is magnifique.