Google is dead. Long live Google + “site:reddit.com”

Ah, I’m just learning reddit. If someone, deep inside a thread was to say “here, let me show you”, could they embed an image demonstrating e.g contouring?

Usually not in replies, only in the OP, though I think there is some option that the subreddit can choose to have on that enables reply images (not sure how that works I’ve only heard about it). Like so if some one is posting a requested image and they want it to embed there in reddit they have to create a new post to do that, they usually can’t reply in the thread with it. People usually work around this by linking to the image stored somewhere else though in that kind of a scenario.

5 Likes

There are things on Reddit that the teenage boys just ignore. I’ve found the makeup forum is still a good place to check before buying something expensive. Not the only place I check but it’s still on the list.

6 Likes

Yeah and there’s prengancy/childbirth reddit too. I think the teenage boys think they’re the only ones in the world anyway and other people seem to just tacitly assume it must be true.

3 Likes

I also usually use Reddit as a reality check if I need to know whether a game or quest is bugged or if I’m just missing something obvious, especially if it’s not something obvious from a walkthrough.

That involves reading teenage boy nonsense but I still usually find a good answer pretty quickly.

Also I generally believe that when a forum is arguing endlessly about what character build or strategy is the best it means the game is better. If people can’t decide on one true way, then it actually means you are good just playing your own way and the game won’t punish you for it. So the fights are information, just not the information that the brawlers believe is being conveyed.

6 Likes

That’s a rather broad and insulting statement. Reddit is a huge community with tens of millions of active users on the site and its scope of content has huge breadth and depth.

Yes there are many corners of Reddit that are terrible with really toxic communities (but nowhere near as it was bad some 5 or 6 years ago) to be sure, but they tend to stay in their own little bubbles. Reddit admins don’t take kindly to brigading.

In many cases the more niche something is, the more awesome Reddit can be. Like, I’m a big fan of The Beach Boys and there’s a whole active subreddit just for shitposts about the group. How neat is that? I’m also a big fan of the Yakuza series of video games and there’s a really active and welcoming community dedicated to it.

It’s kind of wonderful that I can easily jump from communist Sailor Moon memes, to gif explainers about why Mike Love is the worst, to arguing about which Yakuza character does the best karaoke rendition of ばかみたい (trick question: everybody knows it’s Akiyama), to discussions on embedded device programming, to surreal gifs, to local chats about the city I live in — all from the same site.

But yeah, I guess everybody that uses it is feckless and immature subhuman. :person_shrugging:

11 Likes

To add to your list, the existence of https://www.reddit.com/r/Superbowl/ is a compelling argument.

4 Likes

Honestly the teenaged boy hijinks don’t even bother me much so long as people aren’t being super toxic. Especially if you’re talking about a hobby or interest of many, like, actual teenage boys. In that case it should really be expected.

Most places on the internet I actually treat like the margin drawings in a medieval illuminated manuscript and try to stay on the holy path of not reading the noise. But that’s an all-internet thing. Doing otherwise is something I don’t do much actually. To me, personally, almost all internet community space is a lost cause I don’t have the energy to care about. I guess I think reddit actually comes out ok in some ways in the larger internet environment then.

Like everywhere it comes down to the mods.

Moderators need more respect and probably more money. Like Patreon for mods.

6 Likes

Adding to your list, too, one of my favorite subreddits: https://www.reddit.com/r/woahdude/
I don’t even do recreational drugs of any kind and it’s still lots of fun.

3 Likes

You’d probably love this one then:

1 Like

And…

Pop Tv Yes GIF by Schitt's Creek

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.