Google, like the rest of the world, finally backing away from Google+

My son and his friends all seem to use Kik messenger.

I think people should read that rebuttal. G+ was always a tiger team, to build a platform that could be built upon. The platform is there. Now the team is being dispersed to work on the applications that rest on the platform.

3 Likes

I really hope that is not true. Google+ is long overdue for itā€™s own demise.

3 Likes

If thatā€™s the case, why axe Vic Gundotra during the reshuffle? Honest question.

1 Like

Facebook allows fine control over who sees what, and has had it since before Google+ launched. Itā€™s just not as immediately easy to find and use as Googleā€™s functionality. (Itā€™s easier to find and use than it was, but still not great.)

This is one of those G+ fairy tales that gets tossed around but just isnā€™t true.

2 Likes

Iā€™d have used Google+ a little more (two percent of my social media use instead of the one percent I actually used it) if I hadnā€™t had a stalker ā€œfriendā€ me, with Google+ lacking the ability to truly un-friend people.

2 Likes

The real names policy is what did it for me too. I wanted to jump ship, but I couldnā€™t affort to risk losing my google account. Facebook could decide tomorrow my name on there is bogus and kick me off the network, and it would be merely annoying.

4 Likes

Why would you want to un-friend anyone, Dave?

8 Likes

I love how people are talking here about G+ in the past tense (ā€œGoogle+ was a failureā€) as if it no longer exists.

3 Likes

Open the pod bay doors HAL. HAL? HAL?!

2 Likes

Personally, I donā€™t get why people are still on Facebook, and I think weā€™re going to start seeing some pushback if they donā€™t quit with the radical changes. Someone, please, tell me how I sort by date on the mobile app. And someone tell Facebook that I go to their website to keep tabs on old friends, not news. The thing that will kill it, though, is demanding that all businesses (including small businesses) pay to play.

I foresee Facebook going away, and probably sooner than any of us realize. Hey, show of hands, who here uses MySpace?

Having said that, I donā€™t think G+ will be the next big thing. Sort of a pity, too; I really liked G+, at least compared to FB. Although Iā€™ll note that I finally ran into an annoyance on Youtube; I saw this video on Bulgariaā€™s Got Talent of a pole dancer. I replied to one of the more vulgar comments with an admonition and stated that, whether it was a sexually-charged display (and it was, tbh) it was an impressive display of gymnastics. It showed up on my G+ feed. My mother has me in her G+ circlesā€¦

5 Likes

I donā€™t see why G+ would fold. Itā€™s a better social network than Facebook or Twitter, even if it is smaller. And I canā€™t imagine itā€™s not valuable to Google; the network doesnā€™t represent who you know (like Facebook), but what youā€™re interesting in, and in much more detail than Facebook and Twitter are capable of. I have trouble seeing how thatā€™s not of interest to Google.

2 Likes

Some old inaccurate information in this thread.

ā€œā€¦ if I hadnā€™t had a stalker ā€œfriendā€ me, with Google+ lacking the ability to truly un-friend people.ā€
Not true. You can unfollow people and completely block them so they never see your posts and you never see theirs.

ā€œThe real names policy is what did it for me too.ā€
Google gave up on that policy months ago when they linked Youtube accounts to G+ accounts. They polled Youtube users and listened to the negative feedback on that policy.

Iā€™ve never liked Facebook and never used it other then to camp my real name. I rarely use Twitter other then during real time major events (like the Japan tsunami), itā€™s good for seeing real time feedback from around the world for events like that.

I never wanted G+ but have had a Youtube account since near Youtube going live, so I was forced to link to a G+ account. I have to say I like it. Their communities and circles work well. I donā€™t know how many active users G+ has and itā€™s surely a fraction of FB, but the network has plenty of active users and is far from walking dead.

1 Like

Ever since Google+ started, people with no idea what theyā€™re talking about have been calling it a ghost town, simply because they are not using it. And now thereā€™s totally unsourced piece of speculation from Techcrunch, and everybody assumes itā€™s dead.

Yes, Google could pull the plug if they wanted, but itā€™s unlikely theyā€™ll want to. More reliable sources than Techcrunch claim that a lot of knowledge from the Google+ team is being spread throughout the company in order to make other Google services interact better with G+ (because the G+ on Android is just atrocious, and that Youtube integration was a terrible hack job).

1 Like

Thereā€™s no unfriending on Google+ because thereā€™s no friending. Thereā€™s just following. But you can block people and you can choose who you share with.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a rebuttal pointing out exactly that: http://mattcruikshank.blogspot.co.uk/2014_04_01_archive.html

Who says he was axed?

And thatā€™s why G+ is so great. Itā€™s like Facebook, but without all the idiots. And with a lot of very interesting people who I donā€™t have to know in order to follow them.

Not? Itā€™s pretty great, actually. Where Facebook shows me all the crap and stupid jokes from friends and coworkers that I know in real life, Google+ gets me in contact with interesting people who share my interests, but who I never would have gotten to know without Google+.

1 Like

I guess I need to stop being active on Google + if itā€™ll be like the end of Windows XP and refuse to work afterā€¦something.