Google, like the rest of the world, finally backing away from Google+

This is true, for most things. There’s still a few things that you can’t hide completely (the current banner photo, or whatever the heck FB calls it, is one of those things. But I think they’ve finally set it so that you can hide the other banner photos in the gallery). Also, I was super annoyed when they took out the ability to hide yourself completely from searches. But I still use it, because everybody I know uses it (and NOBODY uses G+). I like some of the G+ photo stuff though, it’s a shame that nobody I know has any interest in it.

In the latest Android update, you click on the 3 horizontal lines, then scroll down to the “Feeds” section and choose “Most Recent”. I don’t think they’ve updated the Apple app yet, but if memory serves you had to “pull” down when you were in the newsfeed view (as if refreshing), and then choose the sort method. That is one of my huge pet peeves, that Facebook keeps trying to force the “Top Stories” newsfeed on me as the default. I really don’t give a shit, Facebook, about what awesome thing from 3 days ago you think I might be interested in. I just want to see my friends’ and family’s most recent posts.

1 Like

If this were then tenth time one of the world’s most well known tech companies launches a social media venture to attempt to cut into facebook’s near monopoly on the “ordinary people” market then we might be in a place to make some pretty good comments about how it did relative to others. It isn’t, though.

I think you’re confused and you’re missing my points. I’m not the one who thinks comparing Google+ growth to Facebook and Twitter is a good idea. The people doing that is Google’s public relations and those that parrot that over-simplistic PR drivel.

My point is that it’s not a fair comparison for a multitude of valid reasons I’ve already given.

You are talking like having virtually every one of their potential customers already using two competitor’s services was helpful to them. That doesn’t seem like a fair assumption.

It’s called laying the groundwork and business analysis.

Have you ever noticed how after one fast food restaurant sets up in a location by itself, a bunch of others will follow suit in that area later after analyzing their progress, etc.? It’s a similar business concept.

I know that in business analysis everyone is only ever concerned about growth

Um, the post I was replying to was comparing growth with Facebook and Twitter, so please don’t lay that on me.

Showing that a growth comparison isn’t accurate without factoring in externalities doesn’t mean that I’m “only ever concerned about growth”. Actually, if you read my posts, my main concerns are business ethics when it comes to privacy and monopolistic business practices.

Like many others, I was fine with Google+ until they began using their monopolistic business practices to jam people into it unwillingly from other services along with threatening to shut down accounts who didn’t use their real names, etc. - Try to keep up.

Okay, fine, but 100 millions users is not a ghost town.

Everywhere I’ve seen the term “ghost town” used, it’s been a relative term compared to other more active social networks, it’s not literal terminology. Also, the user base has been wildly conflated in relation to Twitter and Facebook as I’ve proven.

Google+ isn’t the “Facebook destroys MySpace” story. It’s the “Google+ can’t properly challenge Facebook” story because Google squandered its opportunity with greedy missteps.

And, sorry, distorting the number of grassroots users by including YouTube, etc. is just putting lipstick on a pig.

but you are trying to tell someone that a platform is unused when it was really useful for them.

No one said it was completely unused nor useless for everyone. You’re misconstruing relative statements for literal ones.

Also, the analysis you are doing is hardly rock solid

Actually, it is. Google is well-documented at jamming YouTube users into Google+ growth numbers. Are you denying this rock solid reality?

Just as I stated, Google+ also started at a different time period than Facebook or Twitter. Do you not understand the ramifications of the time period factors I laid out?

Second Life has 36 million registered users, would you consider it a thriving online community or a ghost town?

I’m not confused, and I am responding to particular points you made. If you don’t think its important and you’d rather talk about Google’s shady attempt to push Google+ on everyone, then we don’t have to talk about it.

They are trying to say that Google+ did fine by making a comparison that can’t really be made. You appeared to be trying to counter that it did poorly by making a comparison that can’t really be made. I don’t think it is reasonable to say either based on that growth. If Google thinks it met their expectations then it met their expectations (not that I think it did, I realize that PR people don’t tell the truth).

If I went to a restaurant last week, I might want to try a different restaurant this week. Social networking doesn’t seem very analogous.

“Try to keep up?” This is what I said in the very post you are responding to:

If you are going to expect me to “keep up” with your point, you might notice that I am 100% supportive of it. I merely find the contention that Google+ should have expected faster growth than Facebook because it’s opponents already had a stranglehold on the market very unconvincing.

The name people seem to have settled for is the Hamburger Menu. I don’t get it.

What I also don’t get is why Facebook’s is on the right-hand side of the screen, when every other modern Android app that has one puts it on the left.

You know, where the old Facebook app had it…

I’m not confused … They are trying to say that Google+ did fine by making a comparison that can’t really be made. … You appeared to be trying to counter that it did poorly by making a comparison that can’t really be made. …

You still sound confused, sorry. Then again, that may be my fault because I’m not being clear enough.

My point was that a judgment of Google+ success shouldn’t be based upon their conflated user numbers. Also, those that use their conflated user growth numbers compared to Facebook and Twitter as a basis for success is unrealistic as well for all the reasons I already gave.

If Google thinks it met their expectations then it met their expectations (not that I think it did, I realize that PR people don’t tell the truth).

My point is that people are parroting half-baked, Google PR numbers as evidence of success. It isn’t (as you would agree).

And, of course, I think we can both agree that rapid growth isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be anyway.

I merely find the contention that Google+ should have expected faster growth than Facebook because it’s opponents already had a stranglehold on the market very unconvincing.

That wasn’t my point.

If I went to a restaurant last week, I might want to try a different restaurant this week. Social networking doesn’t seem very analogous.

It was a business concept analogy. It’s not supposed to be analogous to literal restaurants.

Sigh… you’re also moving the goal posts. The initial point was whether or not a business can lay the groundwork for other future businesses, not just consumer choice.

This is getting tedious and pointless, so I’ll just stop here.

I think we can at least agree for the most part that Google+ wasn’t a success for one main reason. Google used their monopolistic power to try and ramrod people into Google+ along with demanding that they strip their privacy as well. And, no amount of conflated user “growth” numbers changes that fact as I think we both agree.

Someone should have been sacked for trying to sell it with extra-double-secret invites. Fucking stupid idea.

I have no idea whether or not Second Life is thriving community, but perhaps you could explain what the point of comparing the number of people following one person on G+ with the total membership of another service is? I fail to see how that comparison has any meaning.

Actually you made the frankly ludicrous claim that adoption of G+ was “glacial” compared to Twitter and Facebook. You have a short memory. Oh, and the figures showed you to be utterly wrong.

I haven’t moved the goalposts you’ve decided that you defined the argument. You said that a business could lay the groundwork for another. I said that I didn’t see how having existing entrenched competition was helpful in this case. You made an analogy that I didn’t think works, I said I didn’t think it worked. Apparently that was moving the goalposts?

And I replied to a post that said:

And which didn’t mention conflated numbers at all. I guess I was supposed to respond to what you said in earlier posts as well. “Google+'s true, glacial growth compared to Facebook, Twitter, etc.” says that that comparison can be made and that you have the results. It did not read as a claim of apples to oranges.

You claim that growth of G+ has been glacial, when actually G+'s growth was several times faster than either Twitter or Facebook’s. But then you argue that that comparatively explosive growth was actually glacial because … smartphones? Tell me, how many times faster than Facebook’s growth would G+'s growth have had to be to be the same as Facebook’s growth was?

Yes to the first part, and to the second part the details are irrelevant since I’m merely illustrating that claims of G+ being a “ghost town” are absurd because the kind of vigorous interaction going on there could not, by definition, happen in a place where no one goes.

Actually you made the frankly ludicrous claim that adoption of G+ was “glacial” compared to Twitter and Facebook

It only seems ludicrous if you take Google’s public relations drivel at face value and ignore rational, pertinent externalities.

Oh, and the figures showed you to be utterly wrong.

You’re utterly wrong. Once again, the figures fail to take into account the multiple, valid externalities I mentioned. You’re parroting public relations drivel, not valid figures that mean much to critical thinkers.

You have a short memory.

Nope, I don’t, but you don’t follow links to posts I’m responding to. The first to bring up Google+ growth versus Facebook was ObeyByBrain here.

If you read the article he links to (as a matter of fact, his entire response is one, giant link to it) you’ll see the comparisons to Facebook “mass adoption”, etc.

You then regurgitated Google’s public relations “figures” that bogusly compare it to Facebook, etc. and that’s what I’ve been responding to since.

You claim that growth of G+ has been glacial, when actually G+'s growth was several times faster than either Twitter or Facebook’s.

I’ve explained that you are using trumped up numbers parroted from Google public relations. If you still don’t understand, I can only suggest you re-read my post with all the relevant details.

Otherwise, we’re just going to have to agree to disagree.

But then you argue that that comparatively explosive growth was actually glacial because … smartphones?

That’s inanely over-simplistic, please try better reading comprehension. Otherwise, let’s just agree to disagree.

I’m merely illustrating that claims of G+ being a “ghost town” are absurd

By giving your one anecdotal example with no backup? Hardly.

vigorous interaction going on there could not, by definition, happen in a place where no one goes.

Ghost town is not to be taken literally. It’s an expression.

You seem to be very literally attaching your own pride and sense of worth to a Google project. Therefore, I don’t think we’re going to make any progress in this conversation and I think it’s time to agree to disagree.

Yes to the first part, and to the second part the details are irrelevant

Then your anecdotal, baseless claims are irrelevant and we’re done here.

1 Like

I haven’t moved the goalposts you’ve decided that you defined the argument. You said that a business could lay the groundwork for another. I said that I didn’t see how having existing entrenched competition was helpful in this case.

That’s actually where I think you moved the goalposts. You started comparing social networking to weekly restaurant choices as apposed to the actual business concept I was referring to.

If you want to ignore my points without addressing them and shift the conservation, just own up to it.

You made an analogy that I didn’t think works, I said I didn’t think it worked.

Er, no you didn’t. Your confusing redundancies aside, the problem is you moved the goal post to a new analogy that wasn’t my analogy… without ever explaining what was wrong with my actual analogy.

I already explained how you shifted in my previous post to you, but now you’re saying you couldn’t have moved the goal posts because I decided to define the argument.

In other words, you didn’t like how the argument was “defined”, so you ignored it, shifted it and claimed you addressed it. That’s moving the goal posts. And, now you’re moving goal posts to move goal posts. :slight_smile:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree if you’re going to resort to goal post moving ad infinitum while making disingenuous claims that you addressed my point when you didn’t or refuse to do so because I’m not allowed to define my own points.

And which didn’t mention conflated numbers at all. I guess I was supposed to respond to what you said in earlier posts as well. “Google+'s true, glacial growth compared to Facebook, Twitter, etc.” says that that comparison can be made and that you have the results. It did not read as a claim of apples to oranges.

Er, what? I think you should go back and read my post, I was agreeing with you (I think?). But, then again, I have to admit that I’m confused as to what your point was here.

Dear lord, you really have problems accepting reality, don’t you? You’d make a great Republican, except that you like using big words. Anyway, as well as Google’s figures, I linked to an independent study showing that the growth in +1s was far faster than the growth in FB likes. You ignored that. Shame. The projections in that study indicated that +1s on the web would surpass FB likes in two years. Those ghosts are very busy, aren’t they?

Glacial means “very, very slow.” The claim you’re defending is that G+'s growth has been very, very slow compared to other social media sites. The evidence you’ve adduced for this claim is, as I recall, zero, and your claim is also contradicted by “multiple externalities.”

G+'s rate of growth since it started, even factoring out Youtube, is many times faster than that of Twitter or FB. Honest people can quibble about how much faster G+ grew compared to FB and Twitter, but those last two services really did have “glacial” growth at first. I mean, dear god, Twitter melted down at the start of their second year when they got 60,000 tweets in one day. That, old chum, is “glacial” growth.

Hmm. I have anecdotal evidence of there being lots of activity on G+, which just happens to coincide with data from Google and from independent studies.It’s so confusing! What is one to make of this non-conflicting evidence?

Ah, you think you have a psychic ability to see other people’s motivations and mental states! LOL.

Yes, we know that “ghost town” is not to be taken literally. No one thinks you’re arguing that Google+ is an actual, literal town with few or no inhabitants, or even a town that’s haunted. You do know what “literal” means, don’t you?

We know that ghost town figuratively means a service with few active users. Most of the “journalists” that you’re parroting in calling G+ a ghost town don’t actually know what goes on there because they’ve got as far as the (figurative) park and ride lot at the edge of town and then turned around and headed home. They’re bought into their meme, and they’re going to stick with it.

Oh, are you still sticking by your claim that Gundotra was fired? (“Axed” I believe is the term you used.) No, I think your ongoing inability to accept reality is the clincher here.

1 Like

Dear lord, you really have problems accepting reality, don’t you? You’d make a great Republican, except that you like using big words.

Resorting to personal insults because you’re wrong, that’s quaint. And, yes… you and I both know that I consider being compared to a Republican an insult. :smiley:

Then again, you compared me to a great Republican and that would be Abraham Lincoln.

So, thank you.

The evidence you’ve adduced for this claim is, as I recall, zero, and your claim is also contradicted by “multiple externalities.”

Yes, the “multiple externalities” I’ve explained in detail that you keep ignoring in your haste to parrot Google public relations drivel (that also ignores them). But, fortunately, as we’ll see below, you inadvertently provided a source below that backs up at least a few parts…

Otherwise, if you want to challenge the fact that Facebook was dealing with very different circumstances a decade ago than Google+ has dealt with in the past several years, then I can’t help you. That’s just being delusional.

And, if you really want to challenge the fact that Google’s integration of Youtube, etc. into Google+ didn’t inflate the numbers, then you’re just embarrassing yourself at this point. I mean, do you really want me to insult your intelligence and provide links and sources to something so well-documented and known by almost literally everyone in this entire thread? I would hope not.

I have anecdotal evidence of there being lots of activity on G+, which just happens to coincide with data from Google

Right, public relations data from Google that doesn’t take into account the externalities I’ve already mentioned, but you keep ignoring. Oh, and it’s anecdotal “evidence” you continue to refuse to back up by not offering some relative comparisons. Even with my terrible, so-called “short memory”, I haven’t forgotten this fact (more on this below).

from independent studies

Let’s look at your first link here. Ah yes, 6smarketing.com. An SEO company beholden to Google for its business success, how quaint.

That’s strange, most valid studies don’t start off with “Google+ is a huge game changer” and hyperventilate about Google+'s “astonishing” growth, etc. that also fails to mention the valid time frame externalities I’ve mentioned.

You’re wallowing in public relations drivel there, partner.

Ah, you think you have a psychic ability to see other people’s motivations and mental states! LOL.

Nope, but I can read your own sentences that repeatedly refer to a Google product as great, “life-changing”, etc. while also observing you freaking out when your pride and own sense of worth Google is challenged.

Yes, you can’t trust the numbers given by any of these companies, but if you’re looking for independent assessments, then Searchmetric’s analysis1 of +1 growth over 15 months compared to “like” growth over the same period showed 788% growth for the ghost town compared to 202% growth for Facebook.

You should have looked at your own link you provided. At the top they mention how Google+ has, indeed, been widely considered a ghost town and how it appears that brand engagement has faltered:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/12/net-us-google-social-idUSBRE94B04W20130512

And, once again you’re showing the 788% growth without factoring in how Google+ was tied to services like YouTube during that same time period.

Also, once again, read your own links. They attribute a lot of the rise… to guess what?

SMARTPHONES

Yep… this was you earlier in this thread:

Yep, that was you mocking me and trying to inanely over-simplify my points…

Anyway…

So, I’ll give them some credit (to your chagrin) for at least addressing the one externality (of many I’ve mentioned) in how Google+ growth is tied to Android smartphone activations, tablets, etc. But they are still lacking in addressing other huge factors I’ve already mentioned such as YouTube users being railroaded into Google+, etc.

Also, thanks for posting a source that shoots some of your own arguments down.

It’s so confusing!

Yep. But, it may become clearer for you if you read your own links next time.

Yes, we know that “ghost town” is not to be taken literally. No one thinks you’re arguing that Google+ is an actual, literal town with few or no inhabitants, or even a town that’s haunted. You do know what “literal” means, don’t you?

Um, I think it’s time for you to take a deep breathe and put aside your Google feelin’s because (aside from your personal insults as well) you’re clearly going off the rails at this point. No one, including me, thinks that you think that that others are referring to a literal ghost town in the desert.

But, what you clearly don’t understand is the reason people have called Google+ a ghost town is because it was a ghost town in a relative sense and still is once you consider externalities (that you keep ignoring). Especially once one considers how much more engaged people are on other social networks that don’t require railroading people into it.

Inflating numbers with public relations bullshit doesn’t change it, sorry.

Your anecdotal experience sounds good, but it’s not very compelling without more information. Had you tried other options and they failed? If so, which options did you try and how and why did they fail?

Yes to the first part, and to the second part the details are irrelevant

Then your anecdotal, baseless claims are irrelevant and we’re done here.

Oh, are you still sticking by your claim that Gundotra was fired?

That’s strange, I never claimed he was fired. I strongly suspect he was axed (another word for being laid-off), but I’ve never claimed that as fact.

But, what does that have to do with… Oh, I see…

You desperately want to divert attention from your anecdotal, baseless claims that you refuse to back up. I get it.

Sorry, it didn’t work… despite my terrible, “short memory” problems.

My point is that the actual business concept you are referring to MAY NOT WORK HERE. That is not moving the goalposts, it is saying you are wrong.

I read your post. Let me quote you again, the exact same quotation I quoted last time:

Please note the word “true” was bolded in the original, I didn’t add that emphasis. To the extent that Google fabricated user numbers (a point not included in the post I responded to that you excoriated me for not noticing) their growth was bogus. I don’t know to what extent that was and though I suspect it was probably very significant it is impossible to say (how can we tell someone who got rolled in with their YouTube account and wanted to be from someone who didn’t).

Beyond that, your insistence that because Facebook laid the groundwork for the business type they should have hit 100 millions users much more than 7 or 8 times faster than Facebook did seems bizarre. And, yes, saying that their growth was truly glacial means it should have been much, much faster. I don’t even believe that laying the groundwork was very relevant to their growth, but even if it was a large factor, there are presumably other factors that come into play as well, like the critical mass already acquired by Facebook.

If the fake numbers multiplied their accounts by 10 then that makes their growth look a lot slower (though it also moves the 100 million user mark, we can’t just multiply how long it took by 10). If they inflated their user numbers by 100 times then, sure, it looks like their uptake was pathetic, but I don’t think it’s anything like that.

You assume that it is up to you to define the argument. You made a post, I argued with you. I wasn’t arguing about whether this or that analogy is a good one that illustrates your point, I was arguing that your insistence that Google+ had glacial growth was silly.

That’s the second time you’ve sworn off this saying it is pointless. Is the third time the charm?

I’ve never heard that before… But I guess I get it. Mmmm, hamburger.

Facebook’s gotta be on the leading edge, man! People are putting the hamburger menu on the left? We’ll put ours on the right! We’re different! I’m sure they have some justification (either market research or just trusting the decisions of a graphic designer) behind it, but it makes it such a pain when they make these kinds of changes.

I don’t even believe that laying the groundwork was very relevant to their growth, but even if it was a large factor, there are presumably other factors that come into play as well, like the critical mass already acquired by Facebook.

I plucked this out of your jumbled post and put it at the top here because as far as I’m concerned it’s the first time you finally at least somewhat properly acknowledged my analogy to some extent. At least in some way that can be understood by me.

You say you do not “even believe that laying the groundwork was very relevant to their growth”, yet you’ve offered very little basis for this opinion in past posts. And, sorry, bumbling earlier about different choices in weekly restaurants doesn’t cut it, nor make much sense.

You then go on to say that even if was a large factor that didn’t matter because there were “other” factors into play as well. In other words, even if I’m right about one factor, I’m wrong because there’s other factors, but the only one you bring up is a “critical mass” theory. So, let’s look at this “critical mass” theory…

When you said, “the critical mass already acquired by Facebook”… you’re obviously implying that Facebook sucked up all the users. If that was the case, then how do you explain Twitter’s meteoric rise and continued rise after Facebook? If there was some sort of near impenetrable “critical mass”, Twitter would have flopped… but, it didn’t.

The Twitter social network offered something compelling while the Google Plus social network did not and the Google Plus problems had very little to do with any “critical mass” caused by Facebook. If the Twitter social network was able to overcome it, then Google Plus damn well should have also overcame it during the time period in which it started when mobile, social users were exploding. Instead, they exploded on Facebook and Twitter and left Google Plus in the dust for the most part.

Also, how does this downplay in any shape or form the groundwork that was laid for Google Plus that I’ve mentioned? It doesn’t.

My point is that the actual business concept you are referring to MAY NOT WORK HERE. That is not moving the goalposts, it is saying you are wrong.

I’ll try to explain this to you again. You never addressed the actual business concept I was referring to in the first place (until your last post, see above). You misconstrued my concept as something different by comparing it to choices of weekly restaurants and then attacked it from there without addressing the actual concept.

And, to be honest, you still haven’t properly addressed it AFAIC.

Beyond that, your insistence that because Facebook laid the groundwork for the business type they should have hit 100 millions users much more than 7 or 8 times faster than Facebook did seems bizarre.

Um, what? Case and point.

Yes, that does seem incredibly “bizarre” since I never said that. At all. I think I’m going to go with my initial assumption earlier in this thread that you’re confused.

I’m having a hell of time following your train of thought. You’re veering wildly all over the place and attributing things to me I’ve never said and analogies I’ve never made, only to finally come around and then state vague opinions that my analogies are “wrong” without properly backing it up.

And, yes, saying that their growth was truly glacial means it should have been much, much faster.

Er, what? I don’t think it should have been “much, much faster”. Focusing on the word “glacial” out of context in this manner means very little.

My point in context was that the growth was incredibly slower than Google says because they are lying about their user base. Once you factor in valid externalities, one can see that Google’s real user base is vastly inflated with people who don’t really even actively use the specific service. It’s about the engagement (among many other factors I’ve mentioned throughout this thread).

Please note the word “true” was bolded in the original, I didn’t add that emphasis.

Duly noted. I bolded the word “true”. What’s your point with that? Sigh…

To the extent that Google fabricated user numbers (a point not included in the post I responded to that you excoriated me for not noticing) their growth was bogus.

You just made no sense there.

If the fake numbers multiplied their accounts by 10 then that makes their growth look a lot slower (though it also moves the 100 million user mark, we can’t just multiply how long it took by 10). If they inflated their user numbers by 100 times then, sure, it looks like their uptake was pathetic, but I don’t think it’s anything like that.

You just made no sense there in relation to anything I’m saying. Was that just stream of consciousness or something?

You assume that it is up to you to define the argument. You made a post, I argued with you. I wasn’t arguing about whether this or that analogy is a good one that illustrates your point,.

Well, back to reality. What happened is I made a point and used an analogy. You obviously didn’t either understand the analogy or who knows what and went off into left field.

I was arguing that your insistence that Google+ had glacial growth was silly

You were? It was honestly hard to tell because only until your last post have you bothered to make a coherent argument about it by making the wrong claim that Facebook has reach some sort of “critical mass” and therefore there was no room for Google Plus. Which wouldn’t account for Twitter, of course.

Then again, that’s bizarre, because if that was the case that would account for Google Plus having glacial growth, but you now say that was “silly”.

I’m going to go with you’re confused again.

I don’t know to what extent that was and though I suspect it was probably very significant it is impossible to say (how can we tell someone who got rolled in with their YouTube account and wanted to be from someone who didn’t).

Ok, I think I can grasp a jumbled point of some kind you’re attempting to make. You’re saying say we can’t tell how badly Google pads its numbers. Well, I agree we can’t get exact numbers, but…

We can use deduction to get a good idea:

(Also please see the above chart that also happens to blow your “glacial growth was silly” theory completely out of the water.)

While Google will lie about its user base, many of their Google Plus third party “partners” will not cover for them. For example, Zynga began offering its games “CityVille” and “Zynga Poker” to people who use Google Plus. Compared to its success at Facebook, Zynga said that the user uptick was very slow. Engagement was horrible. That’s the true sign of people that have been signed into Google Plus, but don’t really use it nor want it.

Intel made the some complaints that engagement is very low from Google Plus “users” as well for their branding. Meanwhile, Facebook engagement was huge for them. The same has been said by Pinterest as well where they said Google+ doesn’t have the same degree of vibrancy that Facebook, Twitter or even Pinterest itself has and complained of horrible engagement.

So… just where are these millions and millions of active users Google claims to have???

They are not really there for the most part.

Long before the mandatory roll in of YouTube users, etc., there was a very aggressive opt-in campaign to sign people into Google Plus whenever they signed into their YouTube accounts and elsewhere within the Google ecosystem.

Anyone who wanted to use Google Plus would have very likely done so at this time while there was a glaring banner at the top of their Youtube account, etc. that kept coming up like a pain in the ass.

Also, (this is very important) anyone who wanted to use Google Plus would have engaged with Google Plus, but Google Plus true engagement was terrible.

This opt-in effort failed and it failed miserably unless one looks at Google’s fake numbers (more on this below).

If this opt-in effort would have been a success, Google could have kept Google Plus as an opt-in service and bragged about all the people who had chosen to join Google Plus instead of fudging numbers and misconstruing passive sign ins to other services as real engagement with Google Plus.

Obviously, this didn’t work and didn’t get the response that Google wanted and therefore they decided to simply force users of their various services into Google Plus.

YouTube alone gets about 1 billion unique visitors per month. That’s not a typo. 1 billion. You’d think with those kind of numbers, there’d be a lot of engagement with Google Plus after Google ramrodded all those Youtube users into its service, but there wasn’t. Why? Because most YouTube users didn’t want Google Plus, that’s why. If they did, they would have engaged with it in vast numbers after being railroaded into it.

Google then disingenuously bragged about user growth without mentioning the fact that they tried opt-in and it failed. They disingenuously bragged about user numbers without mentioning how most users they jammed into the service weren’t really engaging with it.

Google has a sordid history of padding its numbers this way. For example, Google has been caught counting people who merely sign into Gmail to check their email as Google+ interactions/traffic/engagement. That’s bullshit.

When Facebook says it has over 800 million active users, it usually means most people came into Facebook and used the service in some way in a given month. They logged in and somehow actively used their Facebook accounts. This is often the same for Twitter as well.

When Google talks about Google Plus usage, it’s most often someone who logged in and then visited one of the myriad of Google properties. That’s not using Google Plus just because they stuck a Google Plus icon somewhere on the page.

So, look at where we are today after all the Google bullshit dust has settled. The glacial growth that was attempted to be hidden with all these bullshit, inflated “users” has come home to roost.

As Ars Technica has analyzed after it was announced that Vic Gundotra was “departing”:

“The social network hasn’t gained the massive userbase it would need to rival Facebook, and the aggressive integration strategy has been universally hated by users. … few things the company has done have been more disliked than Google+. … Google+'s YouTube takeover was seen as “a rocky move” even inside the company.”

Google Plus true adoption has been glacial in relation to their dishonest approach to user numbers. Maybe if Google had been honest about its true user base and had shown its real numbers over time without unethically jamming everyone into it and disingenuously trying to mask that as engagement, Google Plus would be, ironically, in a better place today.

But, they didn’t and it isn’t.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree

That’s the second time you’ve sworn off this saying it is pointless. Is the third time the charm?

At this point, I really hope so.

The big selling point that might make me willing at this point to jump ship from Facebook for whatever is the next big one would be if that one let me see exactly what I told it wanted to see. Facebook seems to be ever increasingly interested in limiting what I see, trying to filter out and guess what users want to see, instead of just listening to us. We don’t want or need to have it show us less of what our friends and pages we’ve liked post. If we didn’t want to see what someone or something had to say, we would have never friended them, would have unfriended them, or would have unliked them. If I told facebook I want to see someone’s or something’s posts, it’s because I wanted to see those posts. I can understand offering a “highlights” mode that sorts and filters and attempts to give you a quick “best of” condensed version for when you’re in a great big hurry, especially if you’ve connected with a huge number of people and things. But the default version should be everything from everyone and everything I’ve connected with in order with the freshest at the top. And they’ve stopped even offering that version at all.

2 Likes

Alright, apparently we are literally speaking different languages. Enjoy your life.