Google's Starline telepresence technology is like sitting across the table from someone

Originally published at: Google's Starline telepresence technology is like sitting across the table from someone | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I love hanging out!

3 Likes

Going to be a big hit in the next Pandemic.

14 Likes

Nope.

4 Likes

So it’s like visiting someone in prison? Cool!

30 Likes

cool-beenz!..

One of the reasons it looks so real is that each person is being scanned and 3D imaged. That model is compressed and sent over the network

so that means there will be an “auto-pilot” button which we can hit and go and snooze while the “A.I.” takes over nodding and nose-scratching during the staff meetings? (“Or even better, the ‘A.I.’ can just replace both ends and chat with itself based on dynamic Bayesian word-clouds”)

18 Likes

LOL! That’s the first thing I thought too!

jim carrey nipple GIF

6 Likes

I don’t have a need to feel “like sitting across from someone” at meetings. I don’t bother to turn my camera on as it is.

9 Likes

I’m impressed with its ability to capture the back of the person and create that realistic shadow on the wall behind them. This “smart” glass is really impressive, it’s almost like I’m watching a video of two people talking and not of the actual technology in use.

2 Likes

Neat idea, but what’ll it cost, and will it work with other teleconferencing apps like webex, teams, zoom, etc.?

2 Likes

I see they finally found a use for the XBox Kinect.

2 Likes

“… a magic pane of glass.”

So… a screen?

Really looks like it could be impressive, but it remains to be seen if this is just another one of Google’s many “here’s a cool idea” devices that never goes anywhere.

5 Likes

Clearly staged as they didn’t even mock up the edges of the magic 3d glass.

At any rate goggles are a much more mature tech for viewing 3d content so this heartwarming techless connection will remain a toy for the C-suite class while the rest of us are going to have an experience more like jacking into the matrix.

3 Likes

This would be awesome technology for a prison to have to facilitate visiting. Of course there’s no way anyone would want to pay for that.

1 Like

“We’ve also developed a breakthrough light field display system that creates a sense of volume and depth that can be experienced without the need for additional glasses or headsets.”

If this were really true, it would be the big story. Color me dubious.

3 Likes

I see this making a big impact on the adult entertainment industry.

6 Likes

The whole point of telepresence is not to have someone sitting across the table.

4 Likes

Alternative headline: Google rips off 64 year old idea from The Naked Sun by Issac Asimov.

One of Solarians even has killer robotic drones.

2 Likes

So you get an old timey phone with the curly wire?

@Papasan
I’m feeling compressed right now.

2 Likes

One of the ways that the pandemic has changed video conferencing is that many people instantly became as likely to use the technology to get face-to-face time with loved ones as they were to use it for office meetings.

2 Likes