Google's Starline telepresence technology is like sitting across the table from someone

When I was young, I thought 3D television would be incredible, then they started producing them, and everyone (me included) was, like, “meh”. So it flopped. This seems similar - cool tech, but will go nowhere.

1 Like

I only turn the camera on if my boss specifically asks me to. Otherwise I’m going to stick to audio only.

1 Like

Of course there’s every chance the imprisonment industrial complex will ban messy, disruptive personal visits and insist on this method, and that they will gouge both sides for the privilege.

3 Likes

I don’t have a need to feel “like sitting across from" my mother-in-law either.

So don’t.

I seriously don’t understand why so many people seem to be dissing the idea that some folks genuinely miss having face-to-face time with their families and loved ones.

6 Likes

It’s the whole 3D effect (with no 3D glasses) that makes the big difference here - and I also don’t think it should be dissed.

3 Likes

ezgif.com-gif-maker

3 Likes

And I’m sure that Google wont do anything untoward with this scanned and imaged dataset.

2 Likes

What we need is a social breakthrough of normalizing avatars to be our presence in meetings. Fake background are the wedge, let’s keep wiggling that until our bosses can not only not see our shoe hanger on our bedroom door, but also can’t see our real faces. You know, or have an economic and socail revolution that gives labor more agency and enough money to have a semi-professional home office…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.