Nvidia has a plan to use AI to deepfake your face to look the right way on video calls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/09/nvidia-has-a-plan-to-use-ai-to-deepfake-your-face-to-look-the-right-way-on-video-calls.html

3 Likes

I’m sure the translation feature will work flawlessly and never once cause any awkward moments or spoiled negotiations.

7 Likes

That is pretty dang cool, especially the noise filter. That would be REALLY useful with some people I talk to. What I would also like is to filter the glare of of peoples glasses.

2 Likes

No, thank you. The glare on my glasses is a feature, not a bug. I purposely hold my head to create it so my eyes are hidden.

7 Likes

I have high doubts that the noise filter works as good in real situations as it is shown in this video.

3 Likes

Apple announced a feature for FaceTime they call “Eye contact” with iOS 14, but that was weeks ago.

“FaceTime can make video calling more natural by helping you establish eye contact even when you’re looking at the screen instead of the camera.”

4 Likes

Oh yeah not on MY glasses! Just other peoples.

1 Like

If it filters out 20% of that kid screaming in the background, I’ll take it

3 Likes

Well, combining those, how effective is it filtering out my 2yo when he climbs into my lap and shoves his face into the webcam during meetings?

1 Like

But that is adorable… You know what would be cool is if you could designate particular people to have particular avatars. Like you two year old could be made to look like an adorable monkey. Maybe your dog could look like a small lion, or a jackalope or something.

2 Likes

… or you could give yourself an avatar.

Simpsons did it

1 Like

I’m still waiting for a Max Headroom filter.

max

12 Likes

ooo I could make an avatar that looks sort of like me but really good looking. Like a dating site!

1 Like

When I want to look really good while videoconferencing, I hang my camera in the middle of the screen I am looking at. I have noticed that lots of web streaming tv anchors do this too.

1 Like

Holy S**t! I would totally use that!

"Th-th-thank you, C-c-c-caroline! The diagrams are c-c-complete and w-w-w-we’re ready to send version t-t-two! >>>wide toothy grin with eyes closed<<<

But seriously, there’s an easy work around to this problem of worrying about how you look on a zoom call: just put a post-it note over your face on the screen. Think about it: you never worried about how you looked when speaking during a meeting in meatspace, right?

3 Likes

Unfortunately, usually when I’m on a video call and talking, I need to look at whatever I’m talking about on my screen or desk, and when I’m listening to someone else on the call talk my instinct is to look at their face on the screen. I just place the webcam on top of my monitor. My eyes aren’t focused on the lens, but at least my face is pointed in more or less the correct direction.

It is actually as impressive in person. If you have a nvidia RTX card you can test it yourself. It really works.

3 Likes

… or, for those that want to be a catboy/ catgirl…

Oh, wait. There’s already an app for that. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll be curious if they announce anything at Zoom’s conference, Zoomtopia, next week. The CEO of Nvidia is speaking at one of there sessions, and Zoom has been pushing a lot of features to their platform.