Augmented reality contact lenses get real

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/16/augmented-reality-contact-lens.html

2 Likes

I ain’t putting that in my eye. Nope.

9 Likes

No escape from advertising…

15 Likes
9 Likes

I’m cool with this - IF it makes the Steve Austin “boop-boop-boop” sound effect.

14 Likes

Well, you gotta pick. It’s either these or the “ProctoProd” from Headcrash.

5 Likes

The main reason I’d consider this technology would be to use facial recognition and popup text so I could pretend to remember the names of people I’ve met.

17 Likes

Neither, I ain’t doing it. That’s final.

1 Like

That would be good.
Real time closed captioning of conversations could be good too.

4 Likes

I wonder if they come in “beer google”?

12 Likes

Advertiser’s dream, dystopian nightmare.

12 Likes

For that reason I’m grateful that I ended up working for a company where everyone is required to wear name tags, from custodial staff right up to the CEO.

Instead of going with this dystopian Black Mirror tech, why not go with a more reasonable dystopia where everyone is simply legally required to wear name tags at all times whenever venturing out in public?

5 Likes

TheFeed

7 Likes

I have a hard time even using eyedrops – I’ve never used a regular contact lense and I’m not going to start with this!

8 Likes

That’s easy: if you build a Library of Congress-sized sugar cube, then the Library of Congress will instantly become a sugar cube-sized device.

10 Likes

…or surveillance.

8 Likes

The Eye-ternet of Shit

6 Likes

I’d do this, but only if it’s open hardware and I could drive it from linux.

All advertising is just another form of pollution.

4 Likes

Want… really.
I think AR is one of the most interesting developments.
I want captions on everything.

All of us live with captions on the things in which we are most interested.
I want more.

I like birds but I don’t know all of our local ones or their habits.
I want to.

Oh plus…
…dank memes.

6 Likes

“Listen, bub; believe me, your iNomenclator has been hacked. This isn’t your house, my name isn’t Mrs Brainspore, and I’m not your wife.”

9 Likes