GOP hired firm who accidentally leaked personal info on nearly 200-million Americans

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/19/gop-hired-firm-who-accidentall.html

3 Likes

stored internal documents on a publicly accessible Amazon server

TGOP, all the way to the sewer of history.

4 Likes

Are you sure? It means accepting open-ended liability.

13 Likes

Accidentally, you say? Well, well, well…that’s OK then.

1 Like

leaked

Sounds more like a flood

6 Likes

In a statement, Deep Root founder Alex Lundry told Gizmodo, “We take full responsibility for this situation.”

Taking full responsibility means making sure that 198 million Americans won’t be victim to fraud in their name. I’m betting that isn’t cheap, ask Sony.

18 Likes

I’M NOT SAYING IT WAS RUSSIA

(imagine that one guy’s picture here"

BUT IT WAS RUSSIA

3 Likes

6 Likes

USA: a country so advanced that it’s unable to put in place things that every comparable country has for decades. A working, non kafka-esque health care system. Laws against conflicts of interest. Laws against regulatory capture. Data protection laws. Etc.

I suspect a nationwide case of NIH.

4 Likes

I’m sure there’s no way this was, like, an intentional leak to, say, Russian affiliates. No waaaay.

And btw, with this in mind, I totally trust Jared’s today-announced effort to put the Federal government “in the cloud.” They might want to consider, you know, like, passwords, however.

1 Like

How did GOP get this personal info? If it was legally sold and purchased is there anything wrong with leaking it. And, if not … .

That shouldn’t even be a possibility.

1 Like

Parties in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and United States now maintain — or access through private firms — a mix of public, commercial, and generated data on the electorate. Public data includes vehicle and party registration records, voting and financial donation histories, and real estate records. Parties purchase commercial data from credit agencies and other vendors to access the credit histories, magazine subscriptions, and grocery purchases of voters. Meanwhile, as paid staffers and volunteers for parties and candidates contact voters, the information they learn is stored in these databases. Taken together, this is a vast trove of data. One U.S. firm, Catalist, is reputed to have 450 points of data on more than 250 million people in the United States.

http://firstmonday.org/article/view/2975/2627

1 Like

Liking not because I like the facts, but I like that you offered up facts to the debate. The facts freak me out. I don’t know if I even have 450 data points on myself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.