Gorgeous seven-segment display that depicts numbers by heating and cooling

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/22/gorgeous-seven-segment-display.html

4 Likes

Neat! I think I’d like that as a clock.

5 Likes

Not interested until you push this idea and get just the right materials to build a completely analog, no-power thermometer with a digital display.

1 Like

the output for the world’s most glacial word processor, where you have to voluntarily ease your typing speed down to 5 WPM so the display can catch up

Dude, we already lived through the hell of passive-matrix LCDs on laptops once. Let’s not revisit.

5 Likes

It’s a lot less frenetic than the Etch-a-Sketch watch, but just as slow.

5 Likes

I just imagine the power consumption, diamond is the best thermal conductor, what about some diamond CVD shapes?

I’m now dreaming of having an entire wall of these things as the output for the world’s most glacial word processor, where you have to voluntarily ease your typing speed down to 5 WPM so the display can catch up

I used to have a cellphone pre-smartphone days where i could type faster than it could render the text, and it never stopped me from just typing and then waiting for it to catch up. I did manage to crash the phone a few times doing that though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The fun part of making a clock with this technology is deciding the order in which the segments change from one number to the next.

1 Like

Thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinnnnnnnnnnnnng!

2 Likes

Finally, something which displays more slowly than my original homebrew computer!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.