Gorgeous, stylized portraits of vintage computing hardware

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/07/1945-1979.html

6 Likes

These photos made me feel funny… “down there”

7 Likes

Oh man, just look at that beautiful Cray supercomputer! I can almost feel the vector processing coming through the screen.

8 Likes

Cray has always had a good sense of style

5 Likes

I don’t think this is photography. More like some great CGI using photographs as templates.

Even if you allow that the person somehow obtained a pristine machine, lighted it perfectly, in a perfect studio, with a perfect backdrop: just look at the color schemes, how the colors on the computers themselves match the background color, on almost every single “photo”.

6 Likes

I want a coffee table book of full bleed images with pages of text describing the architecture, innovations, and some sample code for each machine. Is that too much to ask?

7 Likes

Beautiful! But some of these need something for scale, like a banana.

Hell, it’s probably doing tensor processing! [took an entire course in tensor analysis. The book was so awful, I still can’t really tell you what a tensor is outside of calling them generalized vectors. Got a B in the damn course tho]

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see if they do the Indigo!

(Also, /nev/dull is brilliant and I wish I’d thought of that.)

I recently viewed an Fstoppers ad for a product photography course. (It’s $300-- not cheap, so I pursued it no further).

some of the previewed techniques show how to stylize photos in this way-- and the results look a lot better than those in this computing book.

here’s a free lesson by the same author

1 Like

“Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tension, apprehension,
And dissension have begun.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.