Graffiti enthusiast won't take red for an answer

Yes, of course. All of us are merely temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

1 Like

As is, I am sure, the man with the modest brick garage. What an asshole he is. May you ever aspire.

Sturgeonā€™s Law always applies.

3 Likes

Sure, Iā€™ll take it.

Yes, your propensity for taking from others has been established and your pride evident. As is your entitlement to it! (I do mean both the private property, and your pride, as youā€™ve clearly earned both).

Sure, the one percenter who holds title to that building earned it, entirely on their own.

Your willpower alone will make that true! Maybe even righteous! You are sticking it to the man right now! Go you noble paladin! justify that powerless indignation! Angrily violating other peoples property will totally set you, and your mind, free. Itā€™s ART after all. Itā€™s not about selling out.

Itā€™s about taking a stand. Even if it is in the front garden of an elderly pensioner. Itā€™s not YOUR grandfather, itā€™s a one percenter! Why, that garage is a veritable Canary Wharf or Shard!! Such bravery involved! And people who own things are soā€¦ rich. Amirite? Hahahahaha.

And we all know it.

Perhaps where you live. In cities that embrace, foster and intelligently manage street art the quality vastly improves. Visit Berlin, (parts of) London, Barcelona, Melbourne (the city Iā€™m lucky enough to call home), Buenos Aires and Bogota and youā€™ll quickly realise how street art can enhance a city, without destroying the valuable architecture.

The Melbourne CBD (or downtown) is a prime example. There are laneways where it is 100% legal for anyone to walk on in and start painting. These are open air public galleries that are constantly changing, massive tourist destinations and hubs that foster a culture that values art over vandalism and crappy tagging. Just around the corner, on the fronts of beautiful pieces of architecture graffiti is quickly removed and people caught painting on them will be punished severely.

Barcelona, quickly removes graffiti from the stonework of its many beautiful old buildings, but leaves the ugly metal shutters covered in brightly coloured and beautiful pieces.

But please, keep making absurd exaggerations to make bland overused points.

3 Likes

Sounds like youā€™re describing a small fraction of the street art in a small fraction of the neighborhoods in a small fraction of the worlds nicest cities. Sure, Iā€™m sheltered and have a limited POV, though. Yup.

But please, keep making absurd exaggerations to make bland overused points.

Youā€™re the one comparing the artsiest neighborhoods of Barcelona, London, and Melbourne to the rest of the world, and then thinking anywhere else is like there. But sure, again, itā€™s me. Being absurd. And Bland. Not you.

Me saying ā€œthe vast majority of it is crapā€, and you saying ā€œI disagree, this tiny portion is AWESOMEā€ are not incompatible ideas.

Oh. Barthelona.

Yeth, It thurely ithnā€™t Barthelona here.

1 Like

Iā€™m a snob and you want to judge and execute architecture all by yourself? Got it.

You should come and live in my neighborhood for awhile and see how you feel about it. When I moved here 15 years ago it was a former industrial zone with many old brick buildings that had stood untouched except for the occasional bullshit tagging. Now, we are inundated by unaesthetic, but oh so colorful, paintings on about 60% of the buildings and more each day. These buildings, loved by me and many others, were not designed by architects. are not ā€œbeautifulā€ by the standards you apparently hold, but they had soul and history. Now they have the stain of narcissistic pride making their form and surface obscure and degraded.

Then you go on in another comment about how, if managed, street art can add value. NO SHIT! This is not managed except by the narcissists that insist on judging the quality of the architecture so they or their buddies can fuck it up with their temporary and truly ugly attempts. They are no different than the big billboards lining the avenues in this town that scream at me to buy some crap that will make my legs or ass more appealing, and I am not the target of those ads, obviously, but there they are. There is no subtly to this generation of street art. It is bad illustration that couldnā€™t find a legitimate place to express itself.

Donā€™t talk to me about snobbery and in the same breath make yourself judge, jury and executioner of my built environment. I will accept your apology with graciousness and magnanimity. I am waiting . . .

1 Like

Arenā€™t we an athhole?

I think you have hurt her feelings . . .

You know what I hates?

I hates it when some vandal comes along and tags an otherwise beautiful work of art.

I have less compassion for the red bricks and concrete, hopefully the artist is well liked and their vandalism ups the property value.

You and the mouse in your pocket? Seems possible, yes. :slight_smile:

But itā€™s a recent John Oliver joke, more or less. Let me find you the clip.

All cued up for 7:38:

The implication being: anyone who finds art only in London, Melbourne, and Barthelona is the wortht. The Wortht.

Iā€™ve been places, my passport will never discount your opinions.

Ok, you live in Barcelona and hate street art. Iā€™ve got it. Stating some examples of where street art really shines doesnā€™t mean it is crap everywhere else. Personally I canā€™t imagine my city without its street art and I think it is a much better more interesting place because of it. Iā€™ve also made a habit of deliberately checking out street art on every holiday Iā€™ve been on (certainly not limited to the afore mentioned cities). So no, I disagree wholeheartedly that 99% of street art is crap (so we donā€™t all know it).

@timquinn

Iā€™m a snob and you want to judge and execute architecture all by yourself? Got it.

I didnā€™t call you a snob, I stated the metaphor was bullshit snobbish, which it was. You compared all street art with sophomoric humour, whilst simultaneously claiming the architecture generally was somehow an ageing lady in pearls.

Nor did I judge any architecture in particular, except the building in question, which isnā€™t particularly ugly, but it certainly doesnā€™t hold up to your ridiculous metaphor.

There is no subtly to this generation of street art. It is bad illustration that couldnā€™t find a legitimate place to express itself.

Oh wait you are a snob! Writing off an entire artistic movement in two judgemental sentences.

Donā€™t talk to me about snobbery and in the same breath make yourself judge, jury and executioner of my built environment. I will accept your apology with graciousness and magnanimity.

When did I mention your built environment? Perhaps you can apologise for the strawman arguments?

1 Like

When you say ā€œarchitectureā€ this can be analogized as ā€œthe built environment.ā€ That isnā€™t a huge stretch. You spoke in broad general terms about architecture that should be respected having certain specific qualities including being designed by an architect. Otherwise you thought a building is only suited to being painted by random amateurs. Your attempts to defend yourself sound nice, but donā€™t hold up to scrutiny. This works with your buddies sitting around drinking, they love you anyway and enjoy the outrageous posturing. It isnā€™t going to earn you that graduate degree though. Watch for eye rolling when you speak to someone who knows their shit and cares about the subject. They are trying to send you a message without overtly embarrassing you. ā€œItā€™s not working pal. Go home and come back when you are ready to get serious.ā€

The closest video rental store hired graffiti artists to paint the entire building. Boy does it stand out and draw attention to the business, which is what they need to stay in business, and a cheap solution that gave some local artists some much needed cash. the surrounding businesses werenā€™t too thrilled, but there was no ordnance/by-law prohibiting it so they are SOL.

2 Likes

I too can place a strawman upon the shoulders of another strawman.

But if i did that art in the street, it would be litter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.