Grammar Enthusiast, The Game

I always assumed that was meant to be used sarcastically.

How about the misuse of begs the question, or doth protest too much?

Mixing up affect and effect?

As far as literally meaning figuratively goes, it was good enough for James Joyce and Salman Rushdie so I don’t much mind.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I think I’ll just leave this Here: Your Grammar Sucks playlist from JacksFilms on Youtube.

Over 100 episodes mercilessly making fun of semi-literate internet commenters, in song, immitation, and skit form, with regularly scheduled collaborative episodes brining in other famous Youtubers, like PewDiePie, Markiplier, TobyGames, and Olga Kay.

1 Like

Ooh, ooh! “The proof is in the pudding” *

*no, it fucking well isn’t

1 Like

Sadly I think you might be right - I don’t think we’ll ever see a Pudding Proof in my lifetime. I’ve long dreamt that, one day, we’ll move beyond the current Pudding Conjecture, perhaps even to a Pudding Theory, but my hopes are fading.

5 Likes

As a researcher in the field of lacto-dynamics, I resent the assertion that the proof is not in the pudding. There are many promising projects being worked on currently, and the pudding may well turn out to be the closest to the truth we get. Although, most of my esteemed colleagues have put all their eggs in the cheese basket. And our department crank is all worked up about the potential in sour cream of all things.

Personally I think kefir doesn’t get enough attention, and the NSF has never funded a study addressing strawberry 2%, which is a national embarrassment if you ask me.

5 Likes

‘Then’ and ‘than’ mixups always scrape my sump.
eg. “Cake is sweeter then bread” transforms the entire sentence into a particular order. There are many things sweeter between bread and cake.

One that’s been shortened to nonsensical. It should be “The proof of the pudding is in the eating”.

‘Pronunciation’ is another that gets me, largely for its irony factor. All too often pronounced (and spelled) 'pronOunciation.

A phrase I do like is “Fuck the fucking fuckers”. Truly a word that is noun, verb and adjective.

3 Likes

One turn of phrase that I absolutely adore is the meme:

I did too, until they used the word “kid”.

Best use of “fuck the fucking fuckers”:

5 Likes

My personal buggaboo

1 Like
5 Likes

Buffaloes.

5 Likes

I regret that I have but one like to give!

2 Likes

If it’s any consolation, I usually formulate a grammatically correct sentence. Like “Whatever your say”, or “Whatever gets your rocks off.” or something like that.

1 Like
5 Likes

The Oatmeal has a good take on that nerve-grinder. Part of it:

1 Like

yeah, that one really steams me up.

1 Like

The one that often bothers me (though I know it shouldn’t so I never say anything about it) is when people use better or best when they mean more or most.

“I like that one better.”

Oh really? So, you’re not very good at liking the other one?

I suppose what bothers me most about this one is that I can’t stop noticing it.

2 Likes

well, maybe they’re not good at liking the other one because the other one is literally more awful? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

When you parse it, I like this one best makes absolutely no sense.

1 Like