Grammar school!

I’m going to be the grammar nerd (if you hate this, please stop reading now).

There are many intelligent comments here, but a couple of them are undermined by misusing words.

• “…it may not of concerned her.” Instead please use “it may not’ve” or “it may not have.”

• Imply vs infer. An easy rule of thumb: “infer” is input, and “imply” is output. When someone implies something, they are speaking. When they infer something, they are hearing.

• Apropos of absolutely nothing, starboard is right and port is left. They are paired by word length (starboard and right are longer words than port and left).

7 Likes

Only if you’re facing the bow.

19 Likes

In the good old days it was Starboard and Larboard

5 Likes

In the case of “not of” instead of “not have”, some folks here use voice-activated text when they post, and auto-correct often chooses the wrong homophone. More often than we’d like, but until the technology improves, this is what we’re stuck with.

10 Likes

This isn’t a collegiate debate club, nor is it a term paper; on BB, the content tends to matter more than being ‘letter perfect.’

I’m a natural grammar snob, myself; but I consistently reel that shit in, because correcting other people on how they choose to communicate takes the focus away from the actual topic at hand.

21 Likes

Indeed! It also assumes that everyone is a native English speaker with a college level grasp of grammar, or that they do not have something like dyslexia, etc!

18 Likes

As long as I can clearly comprehend the message which is being conveyed (and the person isn’t acting like a pretentious/condescending dick) I can ignore most typos and grammatical errors.

Getting back on that aforementioned actual topic, MTG is always mad about something; her perpetual ‘rage against the regime’ is merely performative.

11 Likes

that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

Her only “moral” center is winning, grifting, and hurting those she hates…

7 Likes

Whining?

:wink:

7 Likes

Well both winning and whining!

Guardians Of The Galaxy Wink GIF

7 Likes

She wants to win, but all she does is whine…

7 Likes

Sadly, she’s been elected twice… she’s sadly the logical out come of decades of white supremacy and voter suppression in that district (which is a new district, franksteined together to keep it white).

6 Likes

I know; I meant she wants fascism in general to “win.”

Fuck that noise.

6 Likes

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

This is an international website, and as such a significant number of posters are using their third or fourth or fifth language to post here.

If you can understand what they’re saying, that’s what really matters.

19 Likes

Real talk.

And since it’s now the grammar thread, this is obligatory:

14 Likes

I think someone deserves a stern talking to

And most of my grammatical errors (and there are many) are down to my charming, idiosyncratic style of writing.

Well, that and speaking them into my phone during stolen moments while working.

Besides, grammar isn’t real. It’s a system of control

7 Likes

7 Likes

And only when you are on a boat or spaceship to begin with.

9 Likes

I am on a spaceship right now :earth_africa:

Speeding along at 1.3 million miles per hour (±orbital speed around the sun, depending on the time of year, but 67k mph is a rounding error)

ETA: oh yeah…speed of the galaxy’s rotation too. But that is too much math for me

6 Likes