Grammar school!

And some assholes are messing with the life support systems.

13 Likes

Anyway:

6 Likes

:100:

Pointing out flaws in grammar online is so often something that’s just lazy and cheap.

Maybe someone doesn’t speak English as a primary language, or has a cognitive impairment, or didn’t get a quality education. It doesn’t really matter — the substance of what they are trying to say is the important thing, not the mechanics. This is an online discussion board; we’re not publishing scholarly works.

Unless someone is specifically asking grammar questions, I just don’t find it worth my while to be the grammar police. (Unless it’s a tr*ll misusing you’re/your as they so often seem to do.)

As War’s Lee Oskar said in the classic Why Can’t We Be Friends, “sometimes I don’t speak right, but yet I know what I’m talking about”.

14 Likes

I’m pretty sure someone French and philosophical just entered the chat? Deluze, maybe? Derrida? Is it Derrida? It’s probably Derrida…

Yep and just to make the pointer outer feel superior to someone else… “your grammar is bad, so you must be wrong! HA!”

11 Likes
4 Likes

This wasn’t grammar school, it was nautical school.

Carry on.

3 Likes

All words are made up.

GIF by evite

7 Likes

It seems to me that a non native user of English might be more affected by poor grammar than a native user.

4 Likes

GREAT song, much sage wisdom therein.

11 Likes

Point. Sometimes grammar that is a bit off can make it harder to parse something.

7 Likes

There’s probably some truth in that, I can understand mandarin when spoken by a native speaker but really struggle when it’s spoken by another learner.

1 Like

I went to a guest lecture by Jacques Derrida in 1993. He was my professor’s mentor. I still don’t understand all of what he said. :wink:

8 Likes

Friends don’t make friends read Foucault.

12 Likes

Nobody does, and if they say they do, they’re lying. :grimacing:

9 Likes

“Friend’s”

2 Likes

We finally have definitive proof that the Oxford comma is essential:

12 Likes

twitch

11 Likes

Fixed. Damn autocorrect. (Speaking of inference engines!)

9 Likes

‘I’t’s’ no big deal.

9 Likes

That might be specific to tonal languages, though, where getting the tone just right is easier for native speakers?

Because with Norwegian here in Norway I have a considerably easier time understanding non-natives because they tend to speak slower and not slur their words. Though it is such a dialectal language that it really depends on where a native speaker comes from anyway.

4 Likes