Grammar school!

Pendant! It was the Pedant Pendant, not a mere badge like the others*, and it was not retired. It was stolen from us in the middle of the night while the pandemic still raged. Do not be deceived. The conspiracy to erase the Coveted Pendant from memory proceeds apace, and is suspected to originate at the highest levels, but those who wore it proudly do not forget

*Nor was it, as I have seen it called recently, a “pennant”. A scrap of windblown cloth? Really?

16 Likes

Nor is it to be confused with a pedant pendent, which is someone who hangs off of buildings to tell you odd corrections and details tangentially related to your conversations. …No, not me, I’m not that acrobatic.

12 Likes

Our Catholic parish was late (read: they stalled a bit) in switching to mass in English, so we altar boys had to memorize the Latin version. The tutelage was stressful and there were in-class scenes of kids crying.

3 Likes

Nor should it be confused with the penitent pedant pendant, which is only awarded to those who recant their ways of pedantry.

5 Likes

I hear, though, that the Pedant Pendant Fondant was delicious.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Perfectly alright if you’re a Bunting tosser.

2 Likes

new ones are cropping up all time, and unfortunately it’s because conservatives believe that the constraint lends itself to indoctrination.

There are exceptions, but, they aren’t marketing themselves to conservatives.

3 Likes

Never apologise, always explain.

3 Likes

they have fired the unidentified woman

martin freeman sherlock GIF by BBC

6 Likes

Not grammar, more semantics, but cross posting this here:

3 Likes

Semantics? In here!?

crazy ted danson GIF

7 Likes

Pet annoyance: I dislike when I’m at a restaurant and the waiter asks “how is everything tasting?” The correct question is “how does everything taste?”

I’d be quite alarmed if my meal was tasting anything.

5 Likes

When it’s an intransitive verb taste means to have a certain flavor – “the sandwich tastes delicious but the soup tasted too salty”. Isn’t that the same in both your examples, just with different tenses? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Maybe it just sounds weird to my ear. I immediately think of my carrots tasting the brocolli.

5 Likes

Last night on DS9 I learned there’s nothing worse than half-dead racht.

5 Likes

WITH RELISH!!!

5 Likes

I’ll agree that it can lead to some confusion if you are willing to consider odd possibilities.

Things You Were Taught in School That Are No Longer Or Were Never True

7 Likes

11 Likes

I don’t know if this is grammar, more likely pedantic, but my pet annoyance is when they ask, “are you still working on that?”
Mostly because I was trained 26 years ago to never ask that, and because now every time I hear it I think, “if this is work, someone in the kitchen did something wrong!”

7 Likes