Grand Theft Auto maker hasn't paid corporation tax in 10 years

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/05/grand-theft-auto-maker-hasnt.html

4 Likes

This on the day Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out for the PC. What a bummer.

2 Likes

They’re not the exception, they’re the norm. Trickle down taxation - corporations and wealthy people don’t pay taxes, just us workers.

9 Likes

GTA: Customs Corps Edition

2 Likes

The article is three months old, Beschizza is presumably just posting it now because of the PC release of RDR2.

4 Likes

To be fair, they did pay the taxes but then hit the IRS over the head and took it back.

3 Likes

The UK-based game developer Rockstar North hasn’t paid corporation tax in a decade despite scoring billions in revenue

The publisher scores billions in revenue, Rockstar North scores ~2% of the profits.

1 Like

Yeah, now I’m going to have this in the back of mind while I’m playing it. I’ll just have to power through.

This sort of thing is fairly common when, instead of a straightforward tax applied to all corporate profits across the board, you have “targeted” tax deals designed to support a politically influential, oops, deserving of support sector of the economy.

Cronyism follows these plans like night follows day, and the rule of concentrated benefits/dispersed costs make it very hard to kill them.

Works the same way for tariffs, too, Sugar, steel, chickens, washing machines, you name it, and Trump made it worse, but it did not start with him.

1 Like

Love the brits calling their tax plans ‘schemes’.

1 Like

Why this is just highway robbery.

2 Likes

ISWYDT

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.