Grass in the park at the center of San Francisco gentrification debate is now for rent

It is? You realize the Mission is largely a Hispanic, not Black, neighborhood, right? It is full of immigrants from Central America and Mexico. That’s who is being gentrified out.

1 Like

7 Likes

And Hispanics, especially illegal immigrants are treated kindly by the powers that be?

Quit derailing an existing thread with whatever it is that you’re trying to turn it into unless you think the Parks Department is calling immigration or putting people in prison.

kthx.

2 Likes

No one is going to argue the prison industrial complex isn’t racist…

But this is a story about a public park.

4 Likes

They did remove two Jewish cemetaries that were where the park is now.

[quote]Built in 1861 and closed in 1895, two Jewish Cemeteries were located on what is now Dolores Park. The land was chosen because of its proximity to neighboring temples, but after running out of room for bodies these cemeteries were moved to Colma. Interestingly, the land was then purchased by the city in 1905 to be turned into “The New Mission Park” as part of a city beautification initiative. Unfortunately after the 1906 earthquake the park became the last bastallion against the fire and a refugee camp, and it took until 1913 to complete the parks project. Although the Catholic Mission Dolores Cemetery still exists next door and is open to the public, apart from a very few photographs there’s nothing left of the Jewish cemetery presence.
[/quote] I’m sure this can be worked into this new narrative.

2 Likes

Yes, a public park, that is run by a racist administration. Just like the public facilities, where I live in central London. Where publicly funded football pitches are not used by local kids, but by Bankers, because only they can afford the fees…

Oh, and apologies to @enso & @M_Dub I keep forgetting that all is hunky dory in the land of the free, now that Mr Trump is on his way to make America great again.

You will be surprised to discover that ethnic cleansing seldom starts with tankers and machine-guns, but rather with making life unpleasant to difficult for the undesirables. Making people pay for previously accessible services is one such way–requiring people to fill out paper work, pay for getting the right paper work.

Charging $260 for using a publicly funded facility, that aside from cutting the gras requires little maintenance, is as clear a message as you can make.

Would the park authorities be publicly minded and interested in the Hispanic, non-white, poor population they could recruit the kids to help maintain the park in exchange for using the pitch etc…

Anyways enjoy the way to Nirvana. Because, in America when ethnic cleansing happens it will hit you in the face.

Oh, yes anyone not agreeing with you must be a troll. Foreigners especially so.

1 Like

I watched an interesting and informative PBS documentary the other week, Ten Parks that Changed America. Instead of showcasing our public (no private ownership) lakefront, which is what historians and city planners usually talk about, it turns out the truly revolutionary idea here was to create a web of small parks in all the neighborhoods, so that people in the poorer sections didn’t have to travel hours by public transportation to get to a nice day in the park. That, and the fact that every one of the parks has a field house where all sorts of classes and other activities occur year-round (important with our winters). These are mostly one- to four-block-square parks (8 blocks is a mile, here). The entire city is studded with them.

8 Likes

2 Likes

My local park has a nice community center where they do classes (including Kendo) and activities for kids and families. Six tennis courts, three basketball courts, and two ball fields. This is all about five blocks from my house.

http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/Parks_Rec_Waterfront/Trees_Parks/Parks__San_Pablo_Park.aspx

Imgur

Imgur

All of this is open to the public without any…ethnic cleansing

6 Likes

Looks very large and suburban to me. Are poor people able to walk there, and feel welcome when they’re there? Or is only for the nearby homeowners? (Serious questions: I don’t have any sense of what that neighborhood is like.)

1 Like

South end of Berkeley on the border with the city of Oakland. Ain’t nothing suburban about it. I live in Oakland after all.

I dunno about “poor” people though black folks are grilling in the picnic area and having birthday BBQs every weekend and the tennis and basketball courts are a picture of bay area ethnic diversity. Hmm, actually, we’ve had a few tents up in there on a regular basis too. I assume people living in tents in a park are poor.

We also had our first daytime shooting there in basically forever the other week: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2016/05/17/breaking-shooting-in-san-pablo-park-one-victim/

2 Likes

'ola? (I guess?)

If you’re local and like hacking stuff, you should come to AMT.

3 Likes

Hey, that was pretty quick!

8 Likes

@nojaboja Yes, there is kindly treatment, San Francisco is a “Sanctuary City” where we release criminals (largely from Mexico and south) out on the street (troll alert on the following I can’t help myself) so they can obtain guns (from govt employees) who then randomly kill people on the street

Agree a $260 charge is just high enough to kick out the brown riffraff, but very manageable so your startup can have its product launch/goodbye we burned all the money/ acquihire party.

@chgoliz that is a great idea, Iiwll wathc the 10 parks videos later, public rec centers and parks are great resources. YMCAs have been a backbone in many American communities.

dafuq? I can understand reserving say a picnic shelter at a park for an event. I can understand reserving sports fields and the like for league play. But literally the grass/turf just to sit out and have a picnic? If it’s in such demand that first come first serve doesn’t work and that you need $$ to reserve pieces, there’s an issue with basic city planning and supply of green spaces.

2 Likes

This can’t just be simply equated to reserving a picnic table, and I just want to remind people of this one specific occurrence a few years ago:

“It’s a literal interpretation of what our city is facing right now,” Edwin Lindo, a leader of the San Francisco Latino Democratic Club, said, at last Thursday’s rally. “Someone coming with a piece of paper who says you have to leave.”

The Fight over San Francisco’s Public Spaces - The New Yorker | The New Yorker

One of the local kids from the above video did a follow up vid with buzzfeed after the fact that is really spot on as well.

1 Like

ding ding ding

We have a winner!

Welcome to San Francisco.

1 Like