Great deal on the Kano Raspberry Pi computer kit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/18/great-deal-on-the-kano-raspber.html

3 Likes

Such a great deal. Any idea why the discount exists?

Gonna guess it’s got a tiny SD card and it’s the older Pi model. Still, an excellent deal.

1 Like

Because the Raspberry Pi 4 is out now, with a faster processor, more RAM (up to 4GB), and 2 mini-HDMI ports.

3 Likes

Thanks for these comments. I never managed to max out a RPi3, so it just didn’t occur to me that it was “obsolete” (cf. I’m the guy with the PS2…)

Well it’s a Linux OS so I think it’s safe to assume SSH and SCP support are probably there. Not sure about SFTP and it might depend if you are looking for client or server packages for these things. Regardless even if support is lacking for these out of the box (which would be pretty odd) you can always download and compile them yourself assuming there is enough free space and a GCC compiler included.

I got my kids a pair of these and there’s a major design flaw in this generation that prospective buyers should know: The programmable LED “light ring” creates interference that renders the audio jack useless, so if you want sound you need to unplug it from the motherboard. Unfortunately the light ring also contains the power button so you need to plug it back in every time you want to turn the thing back on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.