Raspberry Pi 4

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/24/raspberry-pi-4.html

4 Likes

I’ll be shocked if the 4GB hits local Toronto stores at less than $100. (And ordering from the US, there’s exchange and tax charged on everything, including the shipping cost.) When a $5 Pi ZeroW is $28, plus tax, it kind of loses the point.

eta: Looks like the raspberrypi.org site has been crushed by the load.

4 Likes

I love all of my RPi’s the same, I think I still only have the originals, still love them.

That said, if you are an RPi or Arduino person and not checking out the ESP8266 (NodeMCU versions) you are really missing out on a great platform that fits a lot of applications much better than either of the two more powerful options.

ESP8266’s are like USD $3.00 each.

4 Likes

The mini HDMI ports are a huge drag. I’ve dealt with them on cameras and I hate ‘em.

6 Likes

Anyone direct a beginner who wants build a computer to run Google sheets etc., Using this to some tutorials? I figure the money I save can be used for nice mechanical keyboard

Not sure how I feel about this. Uncommon ports for HDMI and power remove a lot of the Swiss-army-knife appeal of the Pi. And it also feels to me like much of the charm of the Pi was its humble specs-- as its specs increase, for me the fun is decreasing. (OTOH, more power… yay?)

ETA: Reconsidering - This will be an absolute boon for hyperwall multi-screen displays… I’m thinking of all kinds of cool things to do with the additional power… my earlier reservations were definitely misplaced.

4 Likes

Ooh nice a new Pi. Shame about the mini HDMI ports though, those things are so easy to break.

2 Likes

Bear in mind that you have to get a power supply and, practically, a case and cables yourself. So the real cost is usually another $30 or so on top.

5 Likes

I feel greedy suggesting it but displayport-over-USB-C or thunderbolt seems more “now” than mini HDMI (and can do HDMI too). Mini HDMI means dongles or extra cables for most users anyway. But I guess there are licensing fees, especially for thunderbolt, that make it inappropriate.

5 Likes

Why? :thinking:

Agreed, I guess we can’t complain too much given the price of these boards. Any licencing costs would have to be passed on to the consumer otherwise.

1 Like

Non-standard means they’re harder to source.
They are far more fragile - both the ports and the cables.
They fall out much easier.

At the end of the day I don’t want to have yet another task specific cable hanging around for what is a general computing platform. It makes the pi4 harder to spin up and deploy.

5 Likes

Here you go:
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up

1 Like

I found a place in Vancouver BC taking pre-orders of the Pi4 4GB for $55 CAN, so maybe I was too pessimistic. Shipping costs would be the kicker. The time I ordered a Pi from the US, the shipping was almost of the cost of the damned Pi! (And then GST was slapped on that, argh!)

USB3 would be nice. The HDs and USB sticks I use are already USB3, so that should be an immediate speed increase.

I need to draw up a chart of the Pi succession: Which Pi goes where as I upgrade my dev and server Pis and bump the rest down.

2 Likes

I wonder if there was any chance to have at least one of the HDMI ports be full size?

2 Likes

Super exited about the launch! Here are some additional resources and information
https://youtu.be/wxbwV-4psAg
Difference between Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspberry Pi 3B+: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/10777/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-vs-raspberry-pi-3-model-b

3 Likes

They are literally part of the HDMI standard. They might be uncommon but they are not non-standard.

2 Likes

I totally fell for the April Fool’s “leak.” Now that I’m looking at the specs less than 3 months later, it makes me kind of regret getting a Rock64 as a file server. Oh well - the emmc storage on the Rock is awesome.

That would be great. Backwards compatibility with the existing case stock would be a plus too.

2 Likes

Did you honestly not understand the point of my message or are you just being a pedantic ass?

1 Like