Great price on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for Kindle

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/12/great-price-on-the-hitchhiker.html

2 Likes

Unfortunately it is all to easy to imagine a Douglas Adams style interaction with the kindle telling you that you are not allowed to read your copy.

8 Likes

how does the ebook handle the footnotes?

2 Likes

I’d like to get around to reading Neil Gaiman’s companion piece someday.

Did you know there are now novelizations of Adams’ Doctor Who episodes? I was unaware until a few choice quotes turned up on Imgur. Apparently they do an an excellent job of capturing his tone.

4 Likes

I dunno, but I’m with you on wanting to know. Different books seem to use different methods. I vastly dislike the one that takes you off the current page and sends you to the quotation in a completely different size and typeface. Takes me right out of the book.

Maybe it’s better to have a paper copy. It might provide some protection against rogue bulldozers.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of E readers myself but i am a fan of Douglas Adams. I have this same box set which only cost £5 new from my local discount book shop. I get much more pleasure digging around actual book shops for bargains then I do looking online for them. :grin:

2 Likes

Obligatory

2 Likes

neither Adams nor Pratchett, nor Wallace are with us, but I wonder if they ever wrote anything about the endfnote/footnote dichotomy and ebooks.

2 Likes

I REALLY want a version of the HHGTTG in a format MADE for a tablet or suitably capable e-reader. One that’s maybe just as much app as it is an ebook. Be part original text, incorporate animations for guide entries akin to the video adaptations, a bunch of meta effects and visuals. Find a way to incorporate the radio plays. Hell, throw in the TV and movie versions and a good audiobook reading, and let it randomly flip throw a few of them when the Heart of Gold activates. Make it a God Damn Experience!

There is simply no other book as qualified and begging for this sort of treatment, and if you do it right, you could make a huge chunk of change on this. I know I’d be getting it.

4 Likes

Trying to hunt down the four volumes of the “rotatable covers” edition proved to be quite the entertaining diversion over the years.
d_adams_4
http://domesticatedonion.net/eng/2012/rotating-cover-design-for-the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy/

4 Likes

Thanks for the link, I never saw those covers before, that’s pretty genius. Did you manage to find all four of them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh yes; they’re not so uncommon. “Life, the Universe and Everything” was the holdout for the longest time, and then I encountered two copies in relatively rapid succession. (Not that I needed more than one.)

2 Likes

HHGG is almost certainly the one book I’ve had to buy again and again in its treeware format more than any other. Of course, if I have to place my ebook reader in front of Mr Prosser’s bulldozer, I suppose it’ll do just as much damage as a paperback.

3 Likes

“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy Omnibus: A Trilogy in Four Parts” looks like the better deal, including all five books by Adams.

1 Like

Nice, searching is half the fun.:smile:

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity: How well known is THHGTTG in the USA, in general and in nerd and/or scientific culture? If I remember correctly, there was only one fleeting reference to the number 42 and the book in the whole run of Big Bang Theory, which seems quite odd to me. Granted, they started making references to Doctor Who only after the cast was shamed at Comic-Con for not knowing about it at all…

1 Like

It was translated into English from whatever you guys speak natively, and we love it!!

5 Likes

This is the version I own and I love it for looking essentially like a bible

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.