Great Richard Corben cover for a great Fredric Brown SF anthology

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/22/great-richard-corben-cover-for.html

6 Likes

Yeti’s are lovers, not fighters.

6 Likes

I have this book! Love the cover for sure, and Brown’s stories are almost always effective on me.

They can be both! Perhaps fighting is more of a hobby.

2 Likes

It doesn’t have “The House” but it does have the hilarious “Armageddon” which I recently recommended to a friend who lives in Cincinnati. He texted me a picture of a Frederic Brown book he’d just checked out of the library and asked, “Ever heard of this guy?”

I couldn’t text back fast enough how excited I was even though it had been decades since I’d picked up a Frederic Brown story. That prompted me to get Carnival Of Crime which was a fun read, although not as good as his science fiction.

2 Likes

I will call him George, and I will love him, and hug him, and squeeze him, and pet him, and keep him for my very own.

6 Likes

Wow! We had that one in our school library in the '70s. I checked it out several times. Still remember the story depicted on the cover! Good one. Always liked Brown, and Corben.

2 Likes

Love me some Corben art!

3 Likes

He looks so happy to have found a friend! It must be lonely up there above the treeline.

3 Likes

There’s someone who posts around here whose avatar is from the cover of Brown’s Martians Go Home!, though I think that art was from Frank Kelly Freas and not Ricard Corben.

I saw the original cover before you edited it!

2 Likes

That sounds more like a Chuck Tingle title. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Unless you’ve read this fun story, you don’t know how right you are. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still have this SFBC book. One of my favorites as a teen. Today Brown is mostly known for (inadvertently) contributing the story upon which Star Trek’s “Arena” (the one with the Gorn) is based. But he was a master of the short story. Wry and clever.

2 Likes

OH hey - I didn’t read close enough - Richard Corben did the cover. He is an indie comic god, and lives near-ish to me. I took a drawing class he was in. Supremely talented.

1 Like

Just saw some of the covers. I thought Stephen King was nightmare inducing.

I would be afraid

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.